1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

£250 OR LESS - Compact Digital Camera

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Stefg, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Stefg

Stefg Member

Please can someone give me a quick bit of advice on what camera to buy.

I want a camera to use for hols and everyday snaps.

I will not be enhancing these on the comp, but would like to get high quality images none the less.

Budget £250. I do NOT want an SLR as these are too bulky. The reviews of the Canon S3 IS have caght my eye, but I have seen picture of it and worry that it is also a little bulky i.e. can't just pop it in your pocket. Something like the Canon IXUS range may be better. Is their a big sacrifice on image quality.

All suggestions welcomed??

Cheers,

Stef

2. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

The Canon S3/S5 cameras have been well discussed here and are highly-rated. Bulky? Not compared to a dSLR. If you want something more pocketable, look at the Canon Powershot A-series. The IXUS range is even smaller - image quality is probably about the same on all these camera but you lose out on functionality, lens range and flash power as you go to a smaller camera but if all you want is a point-and-shoot then an IXUS may well be the camera for you.

3. ChrisBrookes

ChrisBrookes Well-Known Member

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-fx8, I think it has been superceded by another model. It has been a very useful little camera , though it does not offer much in the way of creative control. It is built very well though and has never let me down. I also had an Olympus Sp350 but I broke it, this too is no longer a current model , but it was much more suitable for creative photography. I now have an olympus sp550 uz , but have not tested it sufficiently to comment on its quality and usefulness, though it does boast an 18x optical zoom which some will find useful !

4. ChrisBrookes

one particular factor I have noticed with some compact cameras at the smaller end of the scale is the lack of an ability to make exposures longer than 2 or 4 seconds, this can be prohibitive if you want to do any night photography ?

5. ChrisBrookes

canon ixus 850 is sounds ok for 229 at warehouse express? is that the sort of thing you are looking for? Ixus 850is info page

6. Stefg

Stefg Member

Yep, that is the sort of camera i like the look of. Just a little worried that if i did start wanting to take 'more serious' pics then i might lose out by not having say the S3 IS. Any opinion on that?

7. Stefg

Stefg Member

ps thank you both for the advice. Appreciate it.