1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

£250 cash back offer from Pentax.

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Hi Jack,

I hope you have a good time this Christmas. You are probably under snow like us at the moment. But you may be even colder than us, -1 last night! :D

Yes, the K-7 is proving to be a worthwhile purchase. I had my doubts at first, mostly I think because of the propaganda that Canon and Nikon are 'better' in some ways. kept thinking should I jump ship and if so to what?

Eventually plain common sense kicked in and I went for it. You know what it is like, when you don't have general access to other kit, it starts to look like the 'greener on the other side of the hill' syndrome. I am sure that the autofocus on the D300s is quicker, but does it matter to me. The simple answer is NO, as I do not go in for sports photography.

There are so many simply practical advantages to the Pentax design, such as off camera flash and build quality, that the other small shortcomings, even if they really exist, are insignificant. One has to keep a sense of proportion and switching to Canon for example with IS in the lenses, would have cost me a fortune.

At the end of the day, it is image quality that governs and I have no qualms about that with either the K20D or the K-7, or even the K10D for that matter, so I am a happy bunny!

2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi David,

Funny you should mention Canon and Nikon as I had in my previous reply to
    you ....a long(ish) story regarding the K-7 and the D300s, 50D and 7D ... which
    I will impart now :eek: ...

I had a customer last week, who was referred to me by a long time Nikon user(and friend) (and recent) D300s customer of mine. The referred customer came in asking about the K-7 which is out of stock and I chatted with her about it along with what kind of photography she did (and wanted to do) ..what kit she was using currently and "what she thought the K-7 had that would make it ....<u>Theeee camera</u> for her"? She replied, the "weather proofing" as she would shooting back in Quebec where the winter temps can get to around -30C for weeks at a time ... and she wanted to shoot
    a (fair) bit of (outdoor) sports, as well. So I went I explained to her that whilst the (out of stock) K-7
    would definitely be a good (if not great) camera for her, that the cameras we did have in stock (50D,
    7D and D300s
    ), also, had weather proofing, faster frame rates (for sports) and would be perfectly
    fine for what she wanted, albeit a higher price ...except for the 50D. Then, I mentioned, that Pentax had, as do Canon and Nikon, some expensive weatherproofed lenses to which her response, after hearing the prices, was :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :( :(

Then, as she was about to leave, I mentioned that Pentax had brought out some (much) less expensive lenses that were weatherproofed BUT I didn't know how the "weather proofing" in the less expensive lenses compared to the more expensive lenses .......... (and I still don't :eek:) ...then I showed
    her my own Jack Simpson WeatherProofing Kit for cheap and not fashion conscious photographers ..click here ... and then sent her on her way in a, self-proclaimed,
    fog of camera stuff.... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

On Sunday morning, whilst at brekkie with a bunch of other photogs (and my old D&R bossaroonie :eek:) my D300s customer and referrer announced that the woman had come out of her
    fog and announced that she wants the K-7......... so I guess a Pentax order is in the offing for this
    week :cool:

Cheers and .......<u>DAVID ...WAKE UP ....David, Dave, Davey ...wakey, wakey </u> ... sorry to make you nod off there mate :rolleyes: BTW, we've got no snow but it's a tad chilly (2C) but it ain't
    raining :cool:

Jack

3. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Hello jack,

I didn't nod off, it is good to hear that she still favoured the K-7. I hope you get an order. Why are you out of stock, has there been a run of sales, or is the camera in short supply?

Today, we have standing snow, which is about two inches deep and frozen solid, but the sky is bright blue and the sun is shining. I might venture out for some photos! :) (maybe!).