1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

£250 cash back offer from Pentax.

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Have you heard the good news.

Spend £650 get £50 back
    Spend £1000 get £100 back
    Spend £1500 get £150 back
    Spend £2000 get £250 back

Now there is an offer not to be turned down, thank goodness I waited for my K-7 :D

2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Bravo Monsieur David :)

Cheers,

Jack

3. Monobod

Hello Jack,

Good to hear from you again. Well, yes I have succummed to the sales bods and bought the K-7 body. Battery grip and spare battery. This put me just a few bob short of the £150 cash back limit so I went totally bananas and bought the AF360FGZ flashgun as well. This will go well as a second gun for off camera flash set ups using the AF540FGZ I already have. Can experiment now with 'still life' set ups.

First impressions:

I must admit, I prefer the body size and shape of the K20D, I find the reduction on the left side of the K-7 to be uncomfortable and there is no where for my left thumb, but I will probably get used to that eventually.

The reduction in weight is noticeable and welcome too.

The viewfinder is bright, but as I wear glasses, I am finding it not easy to see the whole screen, I get a slight vignetting in the corners because my eye is a bit further away from the camera. Take the glasses off and it is A-OK, but I then need to put them back on to see the image on the rear screen properly. Just an age thing I suppose! :mad:

I bought the camera from Warehouse Express, here in Norwich and they have a good display of Nikon, Sony and Canon kit with cameras one can play with. I must say, of all of the others, I thought the build quality of the Pentax stood head and shoulders above. It was noticeably better than the Canons I looked at for the same money.

Nice to have alternative trays for the battery grip, so I can use AA batteries in an emergency.

All in all, with £150 cashback on top of the recent reduction in the K-7 price and considering that VAT here goes up again next month, I think I have got in just in time.

I think I will probably now consider selling the K20D and grip, as the K-7 is obviously going to dominate my photography from now on. I cannot see myself carrying two bodies around with me. :eek:

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

While I don't lug two bodies around for most of my photographic expeditions (how daft would that be?) I do find two bodies useful for some event photography where I'm likely to need use both standard and telephoto lens. Changing lenses is often too slow or sometimes there's just too much of a crowd to manage easily and then 2 cameras is a boon. I suppose an 18-200+ lens would be a possible alternative but I'm still unconvinced about mega zooms...

I also like the comfort of having a back up if anything terminal, or even temporarily inconvenient, should happen to the main camera...

5. Monobod

Yes, I agree that it would be convenient to have a backup, but it is seldom ever the case that I would have the other body near enough to be useful. Leaving it in the car whilst out on a shoot is no good. Also, being realistic, the K20D is probably still a very saleable item, with all the boxes and accessories together with two Pentax batteries and a battery grip, so the cash would be helpful to offset the cost of the recent spend.

Someone suggested converting the K10D to infra red, but I can replicate this in Photoshop, so that does not interest me, so that is also being advertised.

The infra red conversion images I have seen to date do not seem to me to be very 'true to form'.

6. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

It's a bit late for you, but for anyone else considering going from a K20D or K10D to a K7 there's a dealer in Waltham Abbey in Hertfordshire called Digital Camera Exchange which gives quite good part exchange for both towards the K7. They advertise in the photo mags, sorry I don't have an e-mail or web address to hand.

7. Done_rundleCams

Hi David,

Oh, I know about that "glasses off -- glasses on" thing :( .... and, whilst the 2 bodies
    is a bit more weighty, as Nigel says, it definitely makes life easier for events and such :)
    Of course, I carry the 2 bodies around ...all the time :eek: ...simply because life in
    YVR is an event just waiting to happen :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Jack

8. Monobod

I wondered if taking off the rubber eye cup would help, but that could let stray light in through the back door. :D

My friends at the club still think I am 'on the fringe' by not jumping to Canon or even Nikon, but they are un appreciative of the merits od Pentax cameras, they had to admit though that the build quality was exceptional, even though reluctantly.

It makes me smile that they cannot control off camera flash without buying expensive bolt on triggers for the top plate and the guns. ;)

They also thought I was pulling their leg when I told them that I had auto horizon correction, in camera HDR and that I could move the sensor around for macro fine adjustment of framing.

All for less than a grand too. :D

9. Done_rundleCams

Well done David, that's as good of an advert as I've heard for Pentax in a while :) and should
    send the Nikon/Canon users back to their collective instruction manuals for a re-read ...only to
    be disappointed in finding out their camera's can do that :D

Cheers,

Jack

10. David120

David120 New Member

Hi all

I've had my K10D now for a couple of year's but now the K7 is here is it really worth shelling out a lot of money to upgrade to the new camera? I've been very pleased with the results the K10 has achieved but does the K7 really produce vastly better image quality compared to the K10 to justify the £900 price tag?

Cheers

11. Monobod

In a word, yes!

The definition is very much better, due to the extra pixels, but the K20D is also as well endowed in this respect. So if you are only looking for better image quality, the K20D is well worth considering. To be honest, the K20D handles better IMHO, I am not that keen on the narrow body of the K-7, it feels unbalanced with no where for your left thumb to go. But, I am sure this will change with time, as I get used to it. The reduction in weight is well appreciated, especially with the battery grip fitted. The grip has two trays, one for the normal battery and one for the AA's, so good flexability if in a fix with flat batteries.

Where the K-7 scores over the K20D is in the metering, with 77 segments, the live view, great for close up work and the very nice rear screen. The gimics, such as sensor shift and auto horizons are not that important, but a nice bonus, as is the HDR on occasions?? :D

The menus are better with instant changes of settings from the boxes in the info screen, much like the Olympus system. I also think that the dust removal will be much better, again a la Oly.

Yes, the K-7 is a lot of camera for the money and I find the autofocus to be much quicker than the K10D and more positive. With the cashback offer and the recent price drop, I do not think there is a better bargain to be had from any of the other main manufacturers at the moment. :)

You could have the K10D converted to infra red of course! :eek:

12. Done_rundleCams

Re: £250 cash back offer from Pentax.// David120

Hi David,

Here is post I made a few months back of a email I received from a friend/customer who upgraded from a K10 to a K7 --- Click Here :) --

Cheers and, FWIW, I have yet to hear any negative feedback regarding the K-7 :cool:

Jack

13. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

[/QUOTE]I am not that keen on the narrow body of the K-7, it feels unbalanced with no where for your left thumb to go.

[/QUOTE]

The purists, who of course insist that we all hold the camera in exactly the same way, would say your left thumb should be underneath the lens, or at least focusing and/or zooming the lens together with your left forefinger.

That said, I know exactly what you mean: I had a play with a K7 in Jacobs and was a bit concerned about its small size, to the extent that I'm not sure whether to move on to that or the K20D from my K10D.

14. David120

David120 New Member

Thanks for the info. I see Park Cameras have now dropped the price to £930 for the body only and there's also a shop near Eastbourne that's a Pentax dealer so I'll see if I can get a good part exchange deal done on my K10.

15. Monobod

I am not that keen on the narrow body of the K-7, it feels unbalanced with no where for your left thumb to go.

[/QUOTE]

The purists, who of course insist that we all hold the camera in exactly the same way, would say your left thumb should be underneath the lens, or at least focusing and/or zooming the lens together with your left forefinger.

[/QUOTE]

Well, yes and that is what I mean when I say I will get used to it. It is just different rather than wrong. :D

16. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

So David how are you getting on with your K7 now? Any further thoughts? Have you got used to the narrow body? :)

17. Monobod

Hi,

Yes, it is falling into place. I do think it is better than the K20D, especially in respect of noise at higher ISO. The menu system is a great improvement with the info screen where you scroll around a grid of boxes and change things with the rear wheel. This is very quick, just like my Oly E-500.

Have a look on my Flickr site, there is a night time test shot taken at ISO 1250, half a second at f/13 hand held. The IS has worked a treat.

The exposures are much more accurate than the K20D, as you would expect with 77 zones, but this does mean you need to take more notice of the histogram to preserve highlight information. The K20D made me lazy here because of under exposure.

The virtual horizon is useful too. I thought at first it was a gimmick, but it is not. Also it works in portrait mode as well as landscape. Fully functional Live view is also very nice.

The build quality is just fantastic. I was concerned about the 'rubber' flaps instead of hard doors for the sockets, but this has been so well engineered as to be better then before.

I would thoroughly recommend it as a good buy. Especially with the cashback offer.

18. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Agggghhhhh not what I wanted to hear... ;) I have my eye on one at the moment.... mmmm maybe a chrimbo present for myself... :D

Good to hear you're getting on well with it.. :)

19. Monobod

Go for it, you know you want to! :D

20. Done_rundleCams

Hi David,

Glad to hear you enjoying the K7 ......... sounds like thoroughly :cool:

Cheers,

Jack