1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

£150 Digiital Camera?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Clive, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

I wonder if anyone can help me with a choice of a small digital camera for around £150?

It is a present for my daughter who would like one for general use and also for use as a reference tool for her postgraduate studies at the Royal Academy of Art. She uses a lot of architectural references in her work.

Thanks in anticipation.

2. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

It seems that there is ever-increasing choice in the sub-£200 bracket these days Clive. Only yesterday I saw a small 4 Mp Olympus for £119 in Jessops though I have no idea how much user control there is - would your daughter want that?

I've always used Canon Powershots and the Axx series has now been replaced by the Axxx series that are smaller and lighter. Mind you, I'm glad I bought my A95 when I did as digicams don't seem to take CF these days. The Canon A510 gets a good review and I'm sure that the Nikon equivalent is just as good as would be almost any other digicam in this price bracket. I think it comes down to personal preference - what the camera is like to hold and what menu system seems to be the most understandable. Like the advice we give to everybody, go to the shops and take a look.

3. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Thanks, David. I had wondered about the little Canons, and also about the Nikon 4900 but I think that would be way above budget. She certainly knows how to use a camera (she has a Nikon F90X) but I think it would be more point and shoot for this one.

4. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Morning Clive,

If your daughtger is studying Architecture, she might be interested in something with a wide(ish) angle lens which definately cut's down the candidates and here:

are a few with wide(ish) angle lenses

Hope this helps.

:)

Jack

5. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Cheers, Jack. Good thinking, and thanks for the link. Ellie isn't studying architecture, but Fine Arts with an architectural input.

Clive