1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£12,000 Taylor Wessing portrait winner revealed

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, Nov 5, 2012.

1. CSBC

CSBC RIP (News Editor)

2. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Can't say I think much of the winner. I'm nowhere near the level of any of these photographers or judges (probably), but I'd say that if I submitted an image like that to a club comp I'd get pulled up on the hair breaking the eye line and the huge hand to the forefront. Perhaps it has won because it breaks the rules.

3. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Oh God here we go again.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

And I bet any photographer that's comes there way next time will be considerably less welcome...A nice case of I'm alright Jack...

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Its just a snap.

6. beatnik69

I don't really get hung up on 'rules' but I know that club judges can come down harshly on that sort of thing so that's why I'm saying that perhaps the judges of this comp decided to go against the grain.

7. BrianWall

BrianWall Well-Known Member

At first I too thought the winner was just a snap. But actually, it merits a good long look and it does have qualities. It probably isn't something a camera club member would submit. That might more be a window-lit shot of a craggy old jack tar smoking a pipe with absolutely no post-processing. Horses for courses. I like both styles.:)

8. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Only a bit of sarcasm after the Landscape of the Year fiasco.. :):)

9. beatnik69

Ah yes, I forgot about that one... :)

10. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

I think it's stunning and wish I'd taken it.

The light, dof, and choice of lens are deft technicall points. the composition works very well to with enough background detail to give context, but it's sufficiently out of focus to stop it being distracting.

But what makes it for me are her expression (so often the cruicial bit) and her hands - both of which form barriers to the image that she is hiding behind.

The club competition remarks are probably right, I doubt many club judges would have the taste to mark this highly :)