1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Piotr Slusarczyk

Ullswater, Lake District

Two horizontal shots merged together

Ullswater, Lake District
Piotr Slusarczyk, Jun 12, 2018
    • Chester AP
      If I had taken this I would be considering a large print for the wall. Perhaps 1 metre wide...
      How early in the morning was this shot taken?
      Also, the water appears very still: was it a very long exposure?
      These details missing from the EXIF data.
    • Piotr Slusarczyk
      @Chester AP Hi,
      I guess EXIF data disappear after a stich... Shot was taken at 5:30 AM. Exposure was 1/30 s at f/11, ISO 100
    • Chester AP
      5.30 am - I'm impressed by your dedication - and it's also the best way to avoid coach parties and mountain bikers.
    • Piotr Slusarczyk
      @Chester AP
      I was actually up at 4:30 :) I was staying on a camp site right next the lake so first picture was taken at 4:40... Not even a soul on the shore. I was hoping for a little bit more dramatic sky but you can't always get what you want :)
    • Chester AP
      Try a graduated neutral density filter - this would let you have the sky darker without underexposing the foreground. I have a circular glass one that is used on my Sigma 10-20 (the quivalent on ypur camera body would be 15-30) for all my landscpe shots. Although this early in the morning I'm not sure the result would be an improvement on the shot you have.

Are you considering a large print? There's not much point in having s picture that looks this good if you only ever see it on a PC monitor. Or, if you have a large flat-screen TV set, try creating a 16x9 ratio image that exactly matches the TV resolution. So if you have an HD TV, create a 1920x1080 pixel image (with black bars above and below if you don't want to crop it).
      Many recent TVs have a USB socket on the set. Mine doesn't, so I use a Freeview HD recorder that has a USB socket for viewing 'photos' and trial and error have shown that the best image display results if the image is as described above, otherwise the player resizes the image to filt the screen and the quality suffers. It is important that if you use hard disc source for playback, the device must be connected with an HDMI cable so that you get the HD resolution. Never an old SCART lead because this only passes an analogue 580 line picture to the TV and this will look less sharp.

Decent pictures can look fantastic on a carefully set up large flat screen TV. It's much more impressive than showing them to friends on a tiny telephone or tablet screen. But turn the room lights down or off to ensure the best contrast on the screen.
    • Piotr Slusarczyk
      I think I will start considering printing after your kind comments:) Totally agree that it would look better as a big print or on a big screen. My dream buy would be 4K projector but they come at the price...
      I couldn't use grad filter as I didn't buy an adapter ring for that new Tamron lens I took picture with. On the other hand I only have some old Cokin filters which probably could affect a picture. Sooner or later I will have to splash some cash and invest in some decent glass filters
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Reader Gallery
    Uploaded By:
    Piotr Slusarczyk
    Date:
    Jun 12, 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    922.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1440px
    Height:
    678px
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D610

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).