1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Amateur Photographer

Porcellio scaber by Mark Horton 18 April 2015

Porcellio scaber by Mark Horton Canon EOS 7D, 100mm, 1/80sec at f/6.3, ISO 250 ‘This photograph was taken at our very makeshift tiny pond we made last summer, in the hope of attracting frogs to spawn this spring,’ says Mark. ‘We’ve had no luck with that yet, but I’ve enjoyed taking shots of the myriad bug life. Here we see a narcissistic woodlouse (Porcellio scaber) admiring its reflection. Unusually for my close-up work, this is a natural light shot – I usually employ the use of flash. I gingerly propped the camera up on the rocks at the pond edge, made sure I had the composition I wanted and took the shot on a 2sec delay to rule out any shake on the slightly longer exposure. Fortunately, the woodlouse very obligingly waited patiently long enough so that I could get the sho If you would like to be in with a chance of winning a year’s digital subscription to AP, upload your images to our Facebook, Flickr or AP website gallery adding the #APPictureoftheweek.

Porcellio scaber by Mark Horton 18 April 2015
Amateur Photographer, Apr 27, 2015