1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dejavu66

Dunnottar Castle 2021

A 181 second long exposure of Dunnottar Castle and surrounding landscape, from Stonehaven on the east coast of Scotland. I Photographed this image using a Canon 5dsr, 16-35mm f4.0 IS L lens with a 10 stop ND and polarising filter attached. f13, ISO 50, focal length 16mm.

Dunnottar Castle 2021
Dejavu66, Jun 2, 2021
    • Phil_N_Flash
      Absolutely stunning - breath taking! The absence of sight-seers enhances it.
    • Chester AP
      And perhaps cable release and a tripod too?
      This is an perfect example of (I assume) spending a lot of time thinking about how to take the shot before doing so, and the result is excellent. The colours in the clouds are fascinating.

How big will the framed print be when displayed on your wall?

I wish you luck with the 'appickoftheweek' tag, because it deserves to be published, but I can't remember the last time something was picked from the AP website Gallery - the magazine appears to much prefer more fashionable websites for its choices.
    • Dejavu66
      @Phil_N_Flash

Thanks Phil. Yes, I was lucky there was no people wandering around when I took this shot, even if there had been some people in the foreground walking around, the long exposure would have made them disappear. It can be quite a busy place at times, but it was late in the afternoon and so, not very many people around.
    • Dejavu66
      @Chester AP

Thanks Chester.

Indeed, I used a Feisol Elite 3372 Mark 2 tripod and a Pixel wired shutter release remote. I should also add that bulb mode was used with the built in intervalometer on the 5dsr as well as shooting with live view enabled after composing the shot through the optical view finder.

If I wanted a large print of this image, I could for example print up to 63" x 35" at a PPI of around 136 (probablly the largest I would print this image) and the quality would be fantastic IMO. I can get a gauge on how the quality might look with the print size option in Photoshop, and also using icc profiles for differant types of paper used etc.

A lot depends on the viewing distance of the actual print,.the quality of the photograph, resolution, sharpness, type of paper/print ect.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Reader Gallery
    Uploaded By:
    Dejavu66
    Date:
    Jun 2, 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    454.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1400px
    Height:
    787px
    Aperture:
    f/13.0
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 5DS R
    Date / Time:
    2021:05:31 17:07:14
    Exposure Time:
    181/1 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 50
    Focal Length:
    16 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).