The controversial nude photo of Brooke Shields has now been replaced by a later version and will go on show from today, according to Tate Modern.

The controversial nude photo of Brooke Shields has now been replaced by a later version and will go on show from today, according to Tate Modern.

The ‘photograph of a photograph’, by artist Richard Prince, was removed from the show -following police advice – before it opened on 1 October.

In a statement, Tate Modern said this afternoon: ‘In consultation with the artist, Richard Prince, Tate has replaced Spiritual America 1983 with a later version of the work made by him in collaboration with Brooke Shields, Spiritual America IV 2005. The room reopens to the public on Tuesday 13 October.’

The original exhibit showed Brooke Shields, as a child actress, standing naked in a bath in 1975.

It had been due to be displayed in a separate room away from other exhibits, with a warning outside.

The room has been temporarily closed since the show opened to the public.

Speaking before the image was taken down, Michele Elliott of Kidscape said it was ‘bordering on child pornography’.

The original photo was taken by US photographer Garry Gross who has said he is ‘disappointed’ at the decision to remove the work, according to a report by the Daily Telegraph.

Most recently it was shown at the Guggenheim Museum in New York.

The exhibition, Pop Life: Art in a Material World, runs at Tate Modern until 17 January 2010.

RELATED ARTICLES

Nude Shields photo may break law, say police

Met Police on naked Brooke Shields photo