LAS VEGAS u2013 Nikon has confirmed pre-CES rumours by unveiling the D3300 DSLR.
The ‘entry-level’ DX-format D3300 features 11 AF points, an Expeed 4 imaging processor and a top equivalent ISO sensitivity of 12,800.
Its ‘compact’ body measures 4.9″x3.8″x2.9″ with a carbon-fibre build to help reduce weight.
Armoury also includes a 3in LCD screen, a burst rate of 5fps and 13 in-camera effects.
The imaging sensor has no optical low-pass filter, to help improve image resolution and sharpness.
The ISO of 100-12,800 is expandable to ISO 25,600 and Wi-Fi connectivity will be possible using an optional WU-1a wireless adapter – the D3300 can be controlled remotely via a smartphone, for example.
There is also a new 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II kit lens, designed to be significantly smaller than its predecessor.
When used with the D3300, the kit is almost 30% smaller and 25% lighter, according to Nikon.
UK availability and pricing for the new D3300 have yet to be announced.
UPDATE: Nikon UK has since confirmed that the D3300 will cost £499.99, body only,
and £599.99 with the 18-55mm VR II (lens available separately priced £229.99. The AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G FX-format lens will cost £519.99. All the new kit
will go on sale on 6 February.
Key features, as supplied by Nikon UK:
- 24.2-megapixel DX-format sensor with no OLPF
- Guide Mode: Clear, step-by-step assistance
- Superb low-light performance: ISO 100-12,800 (expandable to ISO 25,600 equivalent)
- Fast and powerful EXPEED 4 image processing engine
- 5 fps continuous shooting
- Razor-sharp 11-point AF system with a cross-type sensor in the centre
- 420-pixel RGB metering sensor with Nikon’s Scene Recognition System
- D-Movie: Full HD movies at frame rates up to 50/60p
- Built-in microphone and compatibility with Nikon’s ME-1 Stereo Microphone
- Easy wireless connectivity: Via Nikon’s Wu-1a Mobile Adapter
- Special Effects mode: 13 distinctive effects for still images and movies
- 6 Scene Modes
- Large LCD screen: 7.5 cm (3.0-in.) with wide-viewing angle and 921K-dot resolution
- Optical viewfinder with approximately 95% frame coverage and 0.85x magnification
- Small, lightweight body: Approx. 124×98×75.5 mm. Weighs just 410 g (without battery and memory card)
- Small, retractable kit lens: AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II
- Stable grip for secure handling
- Choice of three body colours: Black, red, and grey
- Expandable system: Compatible with the full range of NIKKOR DX-format lenses and entry-level Nikon Speedlights
New full-frame lens
Also breaking cover ahead of CES, which opens on 7 January, is a new AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G full-frame lens.