1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zuiko OM Glass is good...

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by Graham_RM13, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Graham_RM13

Graham_RM13 Well-Known Member

I've just got an OM Zuiko 65-200 f/4 So by way of trying it out I put it on an E-PL1, set it to f/4 and took two shots, the first at 200mm then another at 65mm. I then put the ED 50-200 SWD on and took two similar shots.

Today was a very "grey day" so with only f/4.0 available and the ISO @ 200 the speeds were quite slow (down to 1/125). All was done hand held, on the quick, just to see if the 65-200 was any good at all...

What a surprise. Sure there is a difference, one was designed 30 years ago for film the other is very new and simply brilliant, but the shots from the 65-200 are considerably better than expected.

What is also remarkable is that I can still hand hold, what is effectivly 400mm at 1/125s and get a usable image.;)

I shall give this another go on a sunny day and use a tripod, etc., and see just how good this old glass really is.
  2. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Well, I did have a Zuiko 65-200 f/4 zoom which got used with my OM film SLRs ... until I swapped it for a Tamron Adaptall-2 70-210 f/3.8-4 zoom which I found considerably sharper as well as more comfortable to use and lacking that nasty "macro" adjustment.

Consistently? You must have steady hands .... I'd give myself a virtually zero chance of getting a shot with 400mm at 1/125, hand held, that didn't show some evidence of camera shake and probably less than 1 chance in 4 of getting a shot that was usable. If I didn't have a tripod to hand I'd use a fence or wall to help steady the camera - and then I'd be reasonably happy at 1/125.
  3. Old git

Old git In the Stop Bath

IMHO Zuiko glass has been and is underesimated by many....

I have a Vivitar 75-205 F3.8 that produces lovely results on my 510. And my 28mm and 50 f1.8 are pin sharp.
  4. Graham_RM13

Graham_RM13 Well-Known Member

I have a 24mm f/2.8 that produces superb images and ergonomically works exceptionally well for me on the E-500

Unfortunatly, old age gets to us all and heavy glass, while helping with the shakes, is a pain, literally, to lug about.
  5. Old git

Old git In the Stop Bath

Agreed, maybe with the exception of the 50mm.

These days I generally use them for table top stuff where i can use a tripod and take my time :)
  6. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Indeed - but some models are better than others. The ridiculously cheap and very common Zuiko 50mm f/1.8 can still hold its head high in any company and there are several other Zuiko OM lenses that I still have a real fondness for, in particular the 21mm f/3.5 and the 200mm f/4. I never had a 85mm f/2 but I believe that's a cracker, too. But in my experience the OM fitting Zuiko zooms were serviceable rather than great, even when new.