1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zooms or fixed - what you use

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

So, although most users here believe that zooms do not match up to the quality of a fixed focal length lens 50% of those who responded to our poll said they use a zoom for the majority of their picture taking. 25% say they use fixed focal length lenses for most of their shots, and a further 25% said they use an even mix of zooms and fixed lenses.

I guess that proves that in the majority of cases convenience is more important that best quality - and that most people believe zooms are 'good enough'.

You can read the discussions here

Thanks to all who voted

damien

2. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

I use nearly all Prime lens :p, I have one Zoom and its a Tele photo.

3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

They are just so darned useful that's the trouble..... :D

Judging by the quality that my fairly new Sigma 17-70mm gives compared to my much older (manual focus) Nikkor 35-70mm lens zoom design has progressed rather a lot... Of course the the fact that primes seem rather less readily available (especially real wide angles suitable for APS-C sensors) than zooms may be a factor.

Oddly enough recently I have been out and about exclusively with my D30 and a trio of primes (24mm and 90mm Sigmas, 50mm Canon), positively prehistoric in these digital days......... :D

4. Dave_Cox

Dave_Cox Well-Known Member

Just fitted a split-image screen to my DL2 just so that I can use older lenses - all primes (28mm, 50mm and 135mm Takumars! First indications are very promising.

5. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

I have 2 zooms, Sigma`s 18-50 and 28-300.
    2 fixed, Sigma 400mm f5.6 (15/16 years old and still going strong) and the Tamron macro 90mm f2.8.

Hoping to get the Sigma 170-500 and pass the 400 on to a friend for his 7xi

6. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Mostly primes at the moment. They just don't make zooms for 10x8!
    Dave