1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zoom Lens Overhaul/restoration

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by UKMark, Dec 10, 2008.

1. UKMark

UKMark New Member

Hi all
    I was recently given a Canon 100-300mm zoom lens & although its in pretty good nic - the focusing ring sounds like its rubbing on something & (to be honest) doesnt really respond as well as it should. Also the focus guide (the circle of little squares on the lens) are a bit feint as well.
    Does anyone know anywhere where i can get said lens overhauled & a ball-park figure of how much i'm likely to pay?
    Thanks as always.....

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Which 100-300 is it? The reason why I ask is that the repair cost may well be more than the lens is worth, or at least pretty close to it - and if it's an old-model lens, there may be no spares available. There are a number of repairers about, depending on where you are. I've not had any lenses repaired for a few years, but based on the last one I had fixed, it's unlikely to be less than £50, probably £75 or more, but doubtless someone more in touch will give you a better idea.

3. T_Sargeant

T_Sargeant Well-Known Member

Based purely on the lens repairs we get into Jessops, I would imagine a service will cost you between £80 - £120 roughly. Obviously it depends what's wrong and it would be a good idea to check with a repair centre, talk about it to them and see what they say.

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Is it one like this?...

I have a couple of zooms of this early type (plus a 28mm prime) and TBH the manual focus is not very smooth on any of them. They all feel a bit rough in use and I suspect were never that much smoother when new.

This has me puzzled... Do you mean the focus points visible in the viewfinder? If so these are part of the camera not the lens. Which model camera do you have? In some models they illuminate in red when the camera focuses, in others they are just marks on the viewfinder screen to indicate where the focus points are (the focus point in use is indicated separately on the info bar at the bottom of the finder.

5. Wheelman

Wheelman Well-Known Member

Hang on think I may have just twigged-It may be that as the lens is a F5.6 the viewfinder is darker and the focus guides don't show up as well as with a larger aperture lens.

If this is the case I am afraid that it is a function of the lens and the only way around it is a faster lens, which at 300mm won't be cheap