1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zoom Lens For Sony Alpha

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Steve52, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

Hi All

I own a Sony Alpha A100 and have the 70 - 300mm zoom lens. However, as I am intersted in bird watching, I wish to get a larger zoom lens. My local shop (Jessops) has recommended a Sigma 170 - 500mm f5-6.3 (cost £549).
    Budget is limited (hence the Sigma), but if someone recommended something better, then I'd have a serious re-think.
    Any suggestions? :)

2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Microglobe are offering it at £458

Roger

3. Steve52

Hi Roger
    Thanks for that. That lens goes to 400, which would probably be sufficient for my needs, but ideally I woud prefer the extra bit of zoom.

I suppose the other alternatives would be to buy a scope with a camera attachment or a 2x converter.

I've seen a brand called Opteka on e-bay, offering zoom lens for ridiculously cheap prices (£135 for a lens up to 1500). Any idea how good (or bad) they are?

Steve

4. Gizmo2071

Gizmo2071 Well-Known Member

Totally depend on how sharp you want; and the quality of, the images.

I've seen a few people post images using the sigma that you were suggested and I was quite impressed with the quality they produced (especially for the price) and was considering for myself. My biggest zoom is currently 200mm, but I rarely shot wildlife so I've never needed more.

I can't comment on the Opteka, but I'd probably keep clear.

5. Roger_Provins

Look here for Minolta but I be amazed if it didn't fit/work with A100 also. Don't even think about that Opteka.

Roger

6. Steve52

Thanks for the link & advice about the Opteka.

I've e-mailed Microglobe to check if it will work. I agree, it should work as both lens I've got at the moment(zoom & 28-70) I had with my Minolta 500i SLR.

Steve

7. Roger_Provins

I've just checked, there are not separate Sony and Minolta lenses its one and the same. Microglobe's link for the Sony came up as Nikon anyway.

Why not re-morgage and get one of these? :)

Roger

8. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

for the Sigma 170-500 (which I hope to get next week for my Dynax 7d), go to www.bristolcameras.co.uk who have it at £489.

9. Steve52

Good idea, but I've only got another 8 years of work, so I don't want to re-mortgage unless I really have to. The 170 - 500 will suffice (unless I win the lottery).

Is this the lens the top photographers use at sporting events (cricket, football, rugby, etc.)?

Steve

10. Gordon_McGeachie

And the price is???

I am sitting down.

11. Steve52

Couldn't find exact model shown but a similar one for Nikon cost a mere £6009. (I can easily find £9, its the other £6000 I'm struggling with).

The sigma or minolta will have to do for now.

Steve

12. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Gordon when the 600 f/4 G was being advertised (and I beleive it was only available as a special order, no one had them in stock) the UK price new was between £6499 and £6899 you could also add another £399 - £450 for the 1.4 APO 11 converter. And I've only ever seen one AFAIK on E-bay final price IIRC was around £4K

13. Gordon_McGeachie

Flippin eck.

Better get a bigger paper round

14. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

Are you sure you mean zoom and not telephoto?

15. Steve52

Whatever. Thankyou all for your replies regarding zoom/telephoto lens.
    Next. Should I let my battery drain down completely before re-charging, or re-charge as and when?

Steve

16. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

Presuming it's a Lithium Ion battery, recharge it as and when. Or get a spare (always a handy thing to have) and recharge each when it's drained. (LiIon batteries supposedly have no memory effect, so can be recharged at any state of charge)

17. raceman

raceman Well-Known Member

Hiya, just to throw another idea in the pot, I have a Sigma 50-500. Has some great results, and they do often turn up on ebay around the £400 mark.

It's a little heavy, but is manageable, and some great results can be had.

Have a look at my images on Alamy http://www.alamy.com/stock-photography-search-results.asp?qt=paul+abela&lic=6&lic=1 they have all been taken with the Sony, and alot with the sigma.

Hope that helps?