1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zoom lens for Canon650D

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Jan08, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Jan08

Jan08 Member

Hi All. I have a Canon650D and have been using a EF 70-300 1:4 - 5:6 IS USM lens for distance shots = particularly wildlife.

I would like a longer lens, e.g. up to 500 or 600 mm, to capture wildlife that is further away. The canon lenses seem very expensive for this range (for me at the moment) - can anyone recommend a cheaper one, e.g. Sigma ???

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Sigma and Tamron both do longer zooms. There are a few variants. The newest sigma comes in two versions I can't remember the difference but the more expensive is likely better. Reviews abound. Long lenses are expensive and also big and heavy so make sure you understand what you are buying into. Be prepared to find that, even though a 600 mm lens gives 1/4 the area viewed of a 300 mm lens, that little thing hidden by the focussing square will still be a little thing when you.have the big lens. Getting close is just as necessary with a big lens as with a shorter one. Because it is fairly inevitable that you crop results quite.hard and view them large this is quite critical of the lens. The high cost of superteles lies in assuring their performance is very good wide open. I don't know what the power take on the big zooms is. You may find need a grip to give you two batteries to drive the AF properly. Odds are you will also benefit from some support as hand-holding 600mm is a lesson in how good image stabilisation can be. A gimbal type head is most useful where the lens +camera is suspended at its center of gravity so you can tilt and rotate it reasonably freely.