1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zoom lens apertures

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by 0, Apr 15, 2003.

1. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Re: Zoom lens apertures/not exaclty constant!

Well I know nothing about those particular lenses, but surely you cannot put a 35-350mm zoom in the 'high-end' category? So called 'super-zooms' are always an horrendous compromise. Optically speaking you simply cannot design a single set of elements to give good correction of aberrations over such an enormous and conflicting range of focal lengths. The quality of these lenses is inevitably second rate, at best. A 100-400mm should be a better proposition though.

Huw Evans.
    www.huwevans.freeuk.com

2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

"Canon 35-350 F4.5-5.6, 100-400 F4.5-5.6 "

Morning Burgy,

Sadly, yes they are variable aperture. Just by the numbers at the end of
    the focal length. If you put a 35-350 at 35mm@4.0 and then zoom the lens
    out to 350mm you will see the aperture change (in the LCD/viewfinder) as the
    lens zooms. This is done easiest when the camera is in AP mode. However, if
    using your EF70-200/2.8 lens, or any constant aperture lens, and do the same
    thing the Aperture will not change as you zoom the lens out...the shutter speed
    may change if the exposure value changes during the zooming process. Gee, my
    brain hurts now as I haven't been that techinal for a long time/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif.

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Jack

PS: presuming your weren't being facetious.
    It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing!/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

3. Burgy

Burgy In the Stop Bath

"surely you cannot put a 35-350mm zoom in the 'high-end'"

Actually yes I would, the performance of the lens is remarkable, and I have seen tranny's shot with this (OHH why did I have to say that, cue Will) that are very impressive, as the design is also over ten years old and and it was the first 35mm 10x zoom, and still has an RRP of over £1500. I would say it is very much a top end zoom. I used a 35-350 and would recomend it to anyone wanting a portable outfit along with a 16-35mm.

The 100-400LISUSM is also superb, like the 35-350L it is a little ponderous in low light, but again very impressive.

Burgy

Its not what you've got, its who you do it to. http://www.pressfotos.co.uk

4. Burgy

Burgy In the Stop Bath

I know, thanks Jack

Burgy

5. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

and how much would we expect to pay for a 35-350? Sounds quite a tempting lens!

I will be rich and famous one day, just not today!

6. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

You don't want to know Larry! Sit down before I tell you! £1749.90 if you buy it new from Jessops!

BigWill

<font color=blue>I'm sailing like a driftwood on a windy bay!<font color=black>

7. Larry Shone

i think i'll get 2 then, in case one gets dirty when im on safari in Kenya!

8. BigWill

How true Larr old boy, it's such a pain when one gets dust on the front element and one is forced to have Jeeves remove it while one uses the "spare" 35-300! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

BigWill

9. Larry Shone

i tell you what old chap, i wouldnt mind the 300mm telephot that i spotted on Ebay attached to a Pentax ME. It would fit nicely on my cosina allowing me to sell on the ME.Talking of Pentaxes, i nearly choked on me cuppa last night when i spotted an MX for £65! If only that had been around when i bought the cosina!!

10. BigWill

Console yourself with the thought that it was probably as rough as a badgers arse at that price Larry!

BigWill

11. BigWill

For instance.........

......this one is going for £129.00 on Ffordes and it's only "Exc plus" condition!

[​IMG]

BigWill

12. Larry Shone

you reckon? Was the MX a pro camera then, i thought it was an amateur version of the LX

13. Larry Shone

Re: For instance.........

nice, why dont they make em like that anymore(Helen thinks, ugly bloody camera!)/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

14. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Well that is certainly a high-end price! What is the distortion like?

Huw Evans.
    www.huwevans.freeuk.com

15. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

It didn't have any particular relation to the LX that I can recall. I do seem to remember it took a proper motor drive (not just an auto-winder), which in those days usually marked something out as having professional aspirations. But at the same time it wasn't really a full system camera as the LX, or Nikon F2, or Canon F1 were.

Didn't Jack use several of them for PJ work?

Huw Evans.
    www.huwevans.freeuk.com

16. Burgy

Burgy In the Stop Bath

I wouldn't use it for architectural work (but then that's not what it was designed for it has a little barrel one end and pincushion the other , but is only a little), but it was very capable, very sharp, and very punchy, a little prone to flare at the long end, (well with a petal hood that was designed for the 35mm end not very surprising) ideal for doing court snatches, from a full length to a tight head in one movement.(dont even think about it Will!!!)

17. Larry Shone

ideal for doing court snatches, from a full length to a tight head in one movement.(dont even think about it Will!!!)

"i'll have order in my court, and please refrain from poking that thing at the defendant's cleavage"

18. Burgy

Burgy In the Stop Bath

no relation to the LX at all. but I think it did also have interchangable screens, and you are right Huw, a 5 FPS motordrive was also available as well as the 2FPS winder. To small for my hands, even with the Motordrive fitted, but a nice mechanical camera.

Burgy

19. BigWill

"a tight head".......well I was just thinking you were talking about photographing a prop forward at rugby! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

BigWill