1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zoom Help

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by PaulBeeston, Jul 15, 2017.

1. PaulBeeston

PaulBeeston Member

Good evening, 1st post so hi to all.

Iv only ever used my phone for photos before but we have a couple of holidays coming up and a few family events so my wife decided she wanted something a bit better.

Any way we went with the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX350 after watching and reading reviews it seemed like it would be ideal and the price was spot on to.

Its arrived and the pictures are very good but when we were watching youtube videos and reading reviews it says/shows people zooming in for a very long distance, the reviews even say it can zoom to show the craters of the moon.

Now mine doesn't do that so Im obviously doing something wrong. Im not going to lie to you I know nothing about cameras, there setting on it I have no idea what they are but can any one suggest something that it might be as to why Im not getting the zoom others are?

Iv added a link to where I got it from and it shows in the description some of the zoom pics, mine seems to get to about 10x judging by them pictures

Many thanks

2. PaulBeeston

PaulBeeston Member

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You don't need much magnification to see the big craters on the moon! As regards the small ones a camera lens isn't a telescope. These compacts with very big zoom ratios do give quite a big magnification at their longest range but there are compromises along the way. If you wanted to do the same with a DSLR camera to the best quality possible you would be spending £10k.

4. PaulBeeston

PaulBeeston Member

I understand that what Im asking is why dont I get the zoom shown in the videos and even shown in the description on the jessops page I got it from

5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

On this image

http://i.jessops.com/ce-images/PRODUCT/PRODUCT_ENLARGED/ASONYCM105295607_005.jpg

[​IMG]

There's a dial/button marked W (wide) and T (telephoto) (right hand edge, on the grip). You use the nub on the front of that, push it towards W and the lens will retract and you'll get a wide shot, push it towards the T (or pull it given where your fingers will be) and the lens will extend and it'll give you a zoomed in image. If it doesn't move, your camera is broken.

It looks like this retracted and for wide angle

[​IMG]

and like this with the lens extended

[​IMG]

6. PeteRob

It never occurred to me, until I saw Tony's post, that you might not be operating the zoom. I thought you were just less than impressed by what is in fact close to what is achievable. Most bridge cameras have a power zoom only. The knurled section on the lens is for focus and turning it will only work if the knob on the side is set to DMF or MF. I think DMF is Sony speak for letting you manually overide the camera autofocus but check the manual to be sure. I don't know why the top position is labelled AF/ZOOM rather than just AF. Check the manual in case the switch also acts as a zoom lock (unlikely).

7. PaulBeeston

PaulBeeston Member

Im fully aware how to zoom in and out but thanks for your input, I am just not connived Im getting the zoom that is been advertised, Maybe I am? Maybe Im just expecting to much

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

How can we possibly tell? Post 2 images of the same scene taken from the same place with the lens at the two extremes of the focal length range and we can tell you.

EightBitTony likes this.
  9. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I hate manufacturers quoting zoom as 50x etc. It doesn't help compare different cameras. In this camera's case it's zoom range is 3.4mm to 215mm (35mm equivilent), so you probably are expecting too much.

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

3.4mm 35mm equivalent? I don't think so....

11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Taken from the specs on the Jessops page.

And a typo on my part, should read 4.3mm

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It actualy says 4.3, but it's still wrong. There's no camera on sale with a 4.3mm 35mm equivalent focal length - I'm not sure you even could correct that, so it would be a circular fisheye with an angle of view of something well in excess of 220 degrees. If you look at the pictures of the camera, the lens is marked with a much more credible 24mm 35mm equivalent wideangle, which implies a telephoto end 35mm equivalent of 1,200mm - really long supertele land. Stupidly long for a bridge camera IMHO, but that's a different issue.
    Which means that either the OP cannot exploit the long end for some reason, or that the expectation is out of kilter with reality, or it isn't really a 50x zoom.

13. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

I guess it realy is 4,3mm which is 24mm (35mm equ) in this case. But yes if the zoom is moving then I think we need to see pictures of the same scene at its widest and another at its longest.

14. PeteRob

You are. The pictures show 24 equivalent at the wide end which makes for ~1200 equivalent at the long (the x50 will be approximate). Most people posting here for "more zoom" are looking at 300 mm actual focal length which is 450-480 equivalent (Nikon-Canon) so you do have an exceptional "zoom". Results may be disappointing as it is asking a lot of the optics, holding a camera still enough to use that is hard and for subjects you do use it for atmospheric conditions affect the results so you do need a clear day with no temperature variations along the optical path.

The "equivalent" focal length comes about due to two things. The sensor size in cameras is different, so for the real focal length different amounts of the image formed are captured. Second we tend to view all photographs at the same size and not at the sensor size. Thus with a small sensor you see a small amount of image presented enlarged. The factor is about 6 for your camera so the actual focal length of ~ 4-200 gives results you would need a 24-1200 lens on a 35 mm camera. Although Canon did make a 1200 mm their longest lens you can buy is 800 mm, 600 is the longest you can reasonably pick up and carry and 500 is the longest someone can reasonably hand hold.

15. PaulBeeston

PaulBeeston Member

Ok would just like to thank everyone for there input, As said I know nothing what so ever about cameras, literally learning as I go so I bit the bullet and did the 4 hour round trip to my nearest jessops for some hands on help. So glad I did as they found it to be faulty and it was only allowing the lens out half of what it should so they swapped it for a new one so fair play to them.

Anyway home now and zooming like a maniac lol

Thanks again

16. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Exelent news, good to hear that the problem is solved.

17. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Given your post, it was impossible to tell that.

I'm glad you have had it replaced as faulty, however.