1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zenit-E to NYC

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Beaconjon, Dec 3, 2015.

1. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would want to bring a Zenit outdoors let alone NYC. Yes we all started out with one but soon upgraded to Practica, okay that was me. Rather than worry about what lenses to buy for it. Why not just buy a reasonable compact or even a bridge camera. At least you know you're going to capture something.

When film processing has been taken into account plus cost of film. It's not going to be far away from the cost of a reasonably price digicam. Still it is the choice of the OP. I just can't imagine it. Certainly would not contemplate it. I've just had a go with my very dirty Ze. Not sure if the light meter works or at least can't for the life of me remember how it does. One things for sure only a mother could love it. Only a weight lifter could lift it.

2. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

The best reason for taking a Zenit-E to NYC hasn't been mentioned yet ...

"And here is a shot of the mugger who I offered my Zenit-E with the f2 lens to ... The blue hues in the bruises it has caused, are quite spectacular ..." :D

3. Beaconjon

Beaconjon Well-Known Member

Yes I could use it to defend myself with should anything get out of hand.

4. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

My Zenit 12 is lighter than my Nikkormat... draw from that what you will.

Adrian

5. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Oh yes, and here's a great picture of the gunshot wound I got for being such a macho numbnuts :rolleyes:

BTW having just returned from NYC I can tell you I felt an awful lot safer and better protected there than I have ever done in London.

6. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

If you're talking about the defensive qualities of the camera, then surely a Nikon F4 with an MB-23 grip fitted is far heavier than a Zenit-E?

7. Beaconjon

I think you could take on a small vehicle with an F4.

Last time one I was in NYC I had my D7100 and felt quite comfortable clicking away. Great city.

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Equally it is far more likely to be able to capture the fleeing attacker afterwards, as long as you can afford the excess baggage charges to get it there in the first place!:D

I did actually take two F4s bodies on a trip to BC many years ago.

9. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Call me tragic (or muscular), but this has inspired me to break Zenit out, took it for a walk in the afternoon sunshine.

Adrian

10. Beaconjon

Despite the concerns shown from some and the valid points made about it being a relatively slow camera to operate I'm still up
    for the challenge. Two rolls of HP5 ordered.

Any thoughts on reasonable places to have the films developed to prints?

11. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Ilford? They do a D&P service.

I would look to get it done in NY. B&W fillum is real popular there.

Have a great trip.