1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zeiss Ikonta 523/16

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by Roger Hicks, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

There's a new piece on the web-site about a late Zeiss folder. I'm probably going to sell it eventually. What would you do as a seller: sell it "as is" so that the buyer knows it hasn't been messed up by an amateur; get it fixed professionally; fix it yourself? How would you respond as a buyer to those scenarios?

Always assuming, of course, that I ever do get around to selling it...

Cheers,

R.

Fishboy likes this.
  2. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Thank you Mr Hicks, that takes me back a bit.

The majority of the work that I did for my CSE in photography (back in 1980 when I was 16 years old) was done on a very similar Zeiss Ikon camera.

I picked it up for a very small sum - it had to have been next to nothing because my sole source of income was a Saturday job at a supermarket and I'd just discovered beer at that point!.

There was a little shop selling used cameras just off Hyde Road in Gorton that always smelled of baked beans and it looked as if the front window hadn't been cleaned since the 1940s. I think the owner ran the place as a hobby more than anything else, buying in old cameras and giving them a bit of a clean and service. He always seemed really reluctant to part with anything and I recall him suggesting at point that I save up and buy a new camera instead of getting one of his second-hand ones (I think that might have been a Halina 35X on that occasion but I'm not sure).

I stopped going there eventually because it got to the point that it always seemed to be closed when I dropped by - I'm still not entirely convinced that the owner didn't lock the door when he saw me crossing the road and hide in the back until I'd gone!

I've just had a look on Google street view and the building is still there with a shutter over the entire front of it that looks as if it hasn't been opened for many years. I wonder whether there are any treasures till inside?

Cheers, Jeff

3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

There used to be a quite big shop like that at the bottom of the hill in Stockport - loads of second hand photo-gear, a sideline in watch repairs and never any customers! The owner was always ready for a chat though.

4. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Interesting article, thanks, Roger. As you say, very little difference between bottom of the range Ikontas and top of the range Nettars, especially in later years. I think in some cases the only noticeable difference, apart from the name on the front, is that Ikontas have a film reminder dial.

If I were selling it (I've sold quite a few cameras of similar vintage on eBay), I don't think I'd bother getting it professionally repaired, it would be unlikely to recover the cost. I would list it as "mostly working, film tested", with the problems as described, and perhaps some example pictures taken with it. I'd probably try a starting price of about £20, and with luck, the bidding might reach £50ish. Your good name might generate a few more bids!

Depending on your confidence of doing a neat job, it could be worth having a go at repairs yourself. It's probably not what I would do, but I don't rate my abilities much above some cleaning, freeing off seized focus threads, and stopping light leaks with a bit of black paint. However, I'm not sure how much "fully working" would raise the sale price over its current condition.

If I see it on eBay, I might well put in a bit of £30, though I know I've got too many cameras already (see another thread), so it would depend in part on how many other cameras I'd bought and sold that month.

Good luck with your forthcoming operation, by the way.

5. Roger Hicks

Dear Jeff,

Surely, all the best cameras stores were at least three-quarters clubs!

Cheers,

R.

6. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I'd go with Alex, though I'm not sure I'd say "mostly" working. Just give a fair description of the faults and add some pictures taken with it.

S

7. Roger Hicks

Dear Steve,

Well, I think the piece on the site is a fair description of the faults! I'd mention that if I were trying to sell it.

Cheers,

R.

8. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

It's very fair, and if I didn't already have a 520/16 would put in a bid.

And a nice piece about the camera as well, as they all are!

S