1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z50 now available for pre-order

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by AndyTake2, Oct 10, 2019.

1. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

2. AndyTake2

3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Well there's a surprise...not...:)

It'll be interesting to see how Nikon's one mount/two formats approach pans out against Canon 2mounts/2 format route...

That said they are going to need to come up with not only a reasonable range of economically priced DX format Z lenses but possibly a few rather less eye-wateringly expensive FF version as well.

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I can't say that there is any cogent reason why I would buy a Z50 in preference to the Fujifilm CSCs I already have, the same as I cannot see any point in replacing my Nikon D610 with a Z6, a stronger case for the Z7 perhaps, the cost though!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Interestingly I have a vertical grip attached to my EOS 40D and yet I rarely use the vertical format controls - I find it far more comfortable to hold the camera vertical just as I would were the grip not there...

I wonder how many photographers actually do use the vertical control options - even on bodies where they're the built in?

6. AndyTake2

When they start describing their cameras a s 'chic' (as in the Z5) then you know they have designed by committee

7. AndyTake2

Me
    Unfortunately on my D5300, with a third party grip, I have to fart around with remote control settings or leads in order to get the thing to work, but I do find a second release button invaluable.

8. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

That may be another factor of course, they've come late to the party and Fuji. Panasonic and Oly have got in first...

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

On the face of it a fairly useless piece of equipment, mirrorless cameras do tend to be battery munchers though. One thing for certain, add this to a Z6/7 and it is not going to be any lightweight. One of the better points of mirrorless cameras was their lighter weight and smaller size, that is already going out of the window.

10. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

It's Z50, not Z5, so I guess that the double digit cameras will be the DX/ASPC range, with the single digit ones being full frame? The battery grip is a bit of a disappointment, not having extra buttons for portrait orientation. Will this pave the way for third party ones?

11. AndyTake2

So it is.

That's what happens when I wake up and find we've run out of coffee:eek:

As for the grip, I hope that there are plenty of third party ones, just to piss Nikon off. A couple of hundred quid for a battery pack is really pushing it.

…….edit.

Looks like the FTZ adaptor is creeping up in price as well - with the Z50 it appears to be £10-20 dearer than an Z6/7 with the adaptor, although Clifton Cameras have it free with the Z50 for pre-order.

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Excuse me if I am underwhelmed by theses announcements. The grip appears to be a dead loss, no vertical controls, no option to use a bigger battery and over priced. The Z50 might be a good choice to replace my 1J5 but I would want a proper zoom lens rather than a collapsible one. Additionally at nearly £1,000 it isn’t a cheap option. If I had a spare £1,000 I think I would buy my wife a used D500 and keep the 1J5.

13. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I'll stick with my V2, which the Z50 looks like the butch younger brother of! :eek:

14. AndyTake2

From the AP interview:
    AP: What’s the reason for not including USB Type-C?

NF: We’re trying to pack a lot of features into a very small form factor. Going for bigger USB ports means we have to make the camera larger

Err....has anyone explained to Nikon that the USB-C port is, not to put too fine a point on it, small?

https://www.amateurphotographer.co....ze-and-form-factor-131940#W0Oco5qGwLAx6u6Y.99

I obviously haven't had my hands on a Z50, but on this occasion I think Nikon are going to be pretty disappointed.
    The size of the camera is approx. 127 x 94 x 60 mm, compared with the D5300's size of 125 x 98 x 76 mm, so slightly wider (you'd never notice the 2mm) 5mm shorter (perhaps noticeable) and obviously shallower because of the mirrorless design.
    Compared with the Z6/7 it is 7mm less width, around 6mm less in height, and 7mm less depth- presumably the depth is due to the lack of IBIS.

The camera is supposed to be aimed at enthusiasts, or 'people's first camera'
    hmmmm…..£900 for a first camera? and then having to buy OIS lenses?
    Perhaps it would have been better to stick the IBIS in it, charge another £100 and aim it at the enthusiasts instead of pretending that anyone is going to buy it as a first camera.

The flip down screen also means that the camera isn't actually aimed at enthusiasts or as a first-time camera, it is aimed at vloggers - Nikon's own words.
    So it is aimed at enthusiasts, who can use their own Nikkor F mount OIS lenses.
    It is aimed at first-time buyers, who are well known for chucking £900 at a first purchase.
    It is aimed at vloggers.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  15. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

Could not wait; bought D7500 that has commander mode.

Learning likes this.
  16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Nikon now have mirrorless cameras that have the same sensor resolution as the D850, the D750 and the D500, their top enthusiast/professional SLRs. Could they be intending to attract potential buyers of those models away from SLRs to Mirrorless? Owners of F mount lenses are probably less easily dissuaded from buying another SLR but someone coming from another make might go that way.

Nikon's one mount two sizes approach is more logical, to me, than Canon's two mount two sizes approach because it does mean that a buyer may have a DX camera for wildlife and an FX camera for general use, using some of the same lenses. I really don't see anyone buying both Canon systems and a set of lenses for each.

ChrisNewman likes this.
  17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

After seeing this video
    I can see it would be a very suitable replacement for the 1J5, probably not just yet though. I still want to get my wife a D500.

18. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

EF lenses (FX in Nikon speak) fit all Canon DSLRs (and EOS film cameras). You can't put EF-S (DX in Nikon speak) on a full frame camera it is true but that's a pointless exercise anyway.

19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well let me prove you wrong. :) I use both. The huge advantage of the EOS M system is its small size and weight, both of cameras and lenses. It makes a perfect travel system - particularly if flying cabin baggage only. I can mount my EF or EF-S lenses on it, but even the crop-format EF-S lenses are pretty big in comparison. So for my type of usage, the two mounts system makes vastly more sense. For your suggestion, the one mount makes more sense.

I wouldn't actually be surprised if Canon were to make an R with a crop sensor for wildlife/sports, but I would be close to astonished if they made any crop-format RF lenses for it, and certainly not beyond a standard zoom.

20. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

If the pixel density is high enough all the R series needs is a scaleable viewfinder. I though buying a 5Ds would give me the crop option to use it as a 7Dii but I realise you need the viewfinder magnification for this to work in practice.

The Nikon Z7 would have enough pixels to function in this way and probably the Z6 too as the crop would still be about 12 MP.