1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You're the curator

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Zou, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Oh definitely.

But I would differentiate between being unconsciously influenced by a photographer, and setting out to create an homage to a photographer.

2. deanolorenzo

deanolorenzo Well-Known Member

My spelling may let me down so I apologise in advance.
    Micheal Kenya, Jonathan Chritcheley, Doissneau,A A (well someone had to) Susan Burnstine , Don McCullin and one in colour would be Michael Orton.
    I'm sure that tomorrow the list would differ slightly but they are all superb.

3. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Well, if it was more than a single photographer, there might need to be some sort of theme or 'uniting' purpose like 'Water in all its Forms' for the Ansel Adams show at the NMM in 2012/13. Or it could be of single images that you as a collector would buy if you had unlimited funds. Then you would need to find a way to hang them in a complementary fashion. That's a difficult task. Maybe setting a limit of images would help.

What do Forum members consider to be a minimum and maximum number to exhibit?

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

That would depend on the photographer - known or unknown.
    If famous then then no minimum - show what you could manage to acquire.
    If not yet famous then 5+ but less than 20 to give a range and attract different tastes.

5. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

I'd measure it by time! Somewhere between half an hour and an hour to get around, 90 minutes at most! This goes for any exhibition or museum visit, after 90 minutes everything starts to wash over you, IMO :(

One of the more enjoyable exhibitions I've seen was "William Eggleston - Portraits 1974" back in 2007 at the Botanic Gardens in Edinburgh. It consisted of 24, 30x20 inch prints in 4 or 5 bright airy rooms, and only a couple of other visitors while I was there, all in all a pleasant and memorable experience.

Print size is another factor to consider, Andreas Gursky's prints can be 4 or 5 metres! Which reminds me of the Duane Michals quote from Foto Follies: How Photography Lost Its Virginity on the Way to the Bank.

An eight-by-ten inch photograph by Robert Frank can be heroic.
    An eight-by-ten foot Gursky is just a billboard with pretensions.

Alan.

6. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I was in Paris recently where there was a Mapplethorpe exhibition on but sadly I couldn't get to see it. I'm not sure what the content was and had my 4 yo daughter with me. :(