1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You're the curator

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Zou, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Just a starter idea - imagine you were given the use of a prime gallery and asked to curate a selection of other people's images. Any photographer(s), and style, and theme. What would you pick? I'll be back with mine in a while.

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Will need a think about that...

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Oh bliss!

Elliot Erwitt for his witty, funny, astute street captures
    Saul Leiter for street work, infused with feeling and atmosphere
    Josef Sudek for not caring about sharpness but the dark, emotional content
    Uta Barth for stretching me to try to see in fuzzy results
    Harry Callahan for his dedication to documenting his immediate neighbourhood
    Karl Blossfeldt for making me see plants as designs and beauty of form.

Yes please!

Kate

4. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Beverly Goodway...

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

So many possible ideas, but I think I'll go with this one for now - contemporary/modern mono. Now that colour is very much the default, why do we continue to use the mono image?

Simplicity, smoothness and structure, through the eyes of Michael Kenna and Michael Levin. Grit and grain to tell a story of a less than perfect world through the eyes of Ragnar Axelsson, Daido Moriyama and Araki. Salgado and Brandt's moving work of the changes in the environment in Africa.

One could probably throw in a smattering of mono fashion/portraiture too, to tie those themes together.

6. Catriona

I see we like what we do or we aspire to. Telling thread. :)

Kate

7. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Suppose that says a lot about me.....
    :D

8. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Brilliant stuff. I'd add some André Kertész and John Gay to this section.

I know they are a painter... But I think that Sol LeWitt's work would go well with Barth.

He would most definitely be on my list as well, such fantastic work and inspires me all the time.

9. Catriona

Thanks for those, Fen. André Kertész is wonderful!

10. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Have you ever heard of Brassaï ?

Kertész taught him photography, even let him use his cameras.

They were good friends, that is until Brassaï stole a load of Kertész' work and passed it off as his own :(

11. Catriona

Yes, I can see the similarities. Kind of makes me dismiss him though, for stealing Kertész' work - not on!
    One of the things which brought on my own work was some emulation exercises I did on about a dozen different old and current iconic photographers' work. It wasn't stealing or copying, but just trying out the styles. Very salutory lessons to be learned that way, as you know. :)
    Edit - One I gave up on? Nick Knight! lol
    Kate

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  12. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

in that case i'll throw Hedi Slimane into the ring

[edit] with added link

13. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Totally agree. It is a really good thing for people to try - no matter what their skill levels or knowledge. Trying to emulate someone else's work can really get you thinking about how you take photographs yourself.

14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Funnily enough (bearing in mind later comments about imitation too) I've never really done anything I'd even vaguely consider homages to any of my picks. Araki is obviously best known for his 'erotic' work but I rate him more as a street photographer. His writing on photography is quite profound and well worth a read.

15. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Another vote for Araki here, I've always liked his street photographs but they tend to be overshadowed by his more erotic output.

As for exhibitions, I've been lucky enough to see more than my fair share of exhibitions over the last 30 years or so, mostly in Edinburgh - Magnum, Magnum Women, Walker Evans, William Klein, Cartier-Bresson, August Sander, Bill Brandt, Salgado, Eve Arnold, Annie Liebovitz, Albert Watson, Eggleston, American Photography (1890-1965) which covered man of the names mentioned in previous posts, Vanity Fair Portraits, Edith Tudor Hart and countless smaller exhibitions which the Scottish National Portrait Gallery put on on a regular basis covering mainly 19th century photographers (Hill & Adam, Fox Talbot, John Thompson). Those are the ones that spring to mind at the minute

So whilst everyone seems to be longing for past masters I'd really like to see more contemporary photography, folk like Alec Soth, Elina Brotherus, Zoe Strauss, Alexander Gronsky, there's a lot of younger photographers out there producing interesting stuff, it would be nice to see a major contemporary exhibition . . . . although I think some curators in the larger galleries are quite conservative and go the populist or celebrity route (Bailey, Testino, Leibovitz).

Alan

16. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I think, in the spirit of mischief, I would have a separate room (children only allowed in with their parents) with a selection of Mapplethorpe pictures...

...of flowers. ;)

17. Catriona

It's very interesting to read all the suggestions. I never really thought hard about why I like certain photographers and not others (a few) but the ones I love are really the ones I wish I had taken the photos on offer. It seems, though, that some of you just love the photos without that further step. Am I right?

18. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Hmmm In some ways I think I fall in to both sides of this.

There are some photographers work that I look at and I think to myself, "I wonder how they did that and how can I try something similar". I'll go off with new ideas and try producing a homage to that piece of work and then I might take it further and produce images in which the ideas have evolved from the initial photographers work.

With other photographers I may look at the work and think that it is a lovely photograph (or series of) and just admire it for what it is and not try to emulate it.

19. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Isn't there likely to be an unconscious influence by photographs you like or are impressed by?

20. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

It would depend on the location of this hypothetical gallery. I believe that a good exhibition should cause controversy. If this gallery was to be in the heart of the American bible belt, then I would exhibit work by Bob Carlos Clark and Mapplethorpe.
    I wouldn't even risk the time to collect my coat.