1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your personal favourite portrait?

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by EightBitTony, Aug 31, 2018.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

What one photograph have you taken (one only) and consider to be your favourite portrait. Not best, or sharpest, or most engaging, but for you personally, the favourite portrait you've shot; and why?

Can be candid, studio, posed, whatever.

Mine changes (not just as I take more, obviously) but with my mood and my appreciation or dislike of my previous efforts.

Currently, I'm having a renewed interest in this which I took not long after I started taking photography more seriously.

[​IMG]Beyond the Veil by Tony Evans, on Flickr

Without being too Taylor Wessing about it, I like the mystery.

Entirely unintentional obviously.

I'd love to see yours.

2. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

My personal favourite - that's a tough one - but I'm going to go for this one for several reasons:

[​IMG]Karen 7 by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

OK, the reasons why it's my favourite:

1. It was my first ever attempt at working with a model and I really enjoyed it.
    2. The light - it was taken in the evening as the sun was setting and the effect in the final version is largely due to a silver reflector to the right of the model combined with the sun to the left.
    3. It was the first time I ever used my Nikon 105mm AF-DC (defocus control) lens - and I was very pleased with it.
    4. The model, Karen, turned out to be really fun and interesting. She asked me to send her copies of the pictures afterwards and I was happy to oblige. In return she sent me back one of my pictures of her feeding a horse photoshopped so that horse was a unicorn and she was a fairy.

Cheers, Jeff

EightBitTony likes this.
  3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Don't really do portraiture of any sort but I do occasionally get the odd candid.

This has long been a favourite...

[​IMG]
    Awaiting the Parade
    by Nigel Hayes, on Flickr

It was taken while the the soldiers were waiting to parade through the city and I was struck by how much I felt she reminded me of Denise Lewis the athlete.

RovingMike, Catriona and EightBitTony like this.
  4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I've got to say I don't have one. Not a single one. I've got lots I like for different reasons. Lots and lots. but a single favourite? Nope. :cool:

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Mine's a candid of the MiL, will need to resize etc before posting.

EightBitTony likes this.
  6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

what, the MiL?

peterba likes this.
  7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Yes. Japanese ladies are often tiny.

She may object to being posted though. :D

spinno and peterba like this.
  8. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Phew!! Nice escape, Zou. ;)

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

To be fair, at a distance of 9261.88km (5755.07 miles for the imperial folk) and the shortness of her arms, I'm out of reach for a slap.:D

peterba and EightBitTony like this.
  10. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

This is really hard.
    I do like this one though. I had a heck of a time settling this colleague who really didn't want her portrait taken (I was doing them for work). Anyway, I ended up getting a reasonable one for work purposes - then I continued, as she gazed out of the window. It's so strange. She is so elegant, yet so adamantly against getting photographed!
    ap catherine 1a.jpg

11. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I'm off on holiday soon, and one of my in-laws really dislikes having her photograph taken. I told her that's all well and good, but I'm taking the camera (cameras, cough), and I'll be bringing back some photographic memories and she's bloody well going to be in them. I try to soften the message with folk who dislike their photograph by reminding them we're used to seeing them, we see them as they are, as they look in the photo, not as they feel they should look, so for us, we just see the people we care about and a familiar face.

peterba and Catriona like this.
  12. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Don't often do portraits as such. This one, taken a few years ago now is probably one of my favourite ones, even if it is only half a head!

[​IMG]geisha by Nigel G, on Flickr

13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

careful, she may be a Ninja warrior....

peterba likes this.
  14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Difficult isn't it?
    I try to let them think I'm done - then snap a few more after they relax! Ha!

EightBitTony likes this.
  15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Here we go... Doubtless it will lose its sharpness via the forum software...

20141011-DSC04462.jpg

16. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

My daughter found this one in a pile of old prints whilst turning out the loft. The main subject is my favourite aunt (slightly zany) and it was taken at Christmas 1980

Margaret and Jane  1024.JPG

I am under orders to get a frame and hang it on a wall

steveandthedogs and EightBitTony like this.
  17. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Taken at a family wedding. This young lady has an infectious smile, she's a joy to photograph and she loves the camera. Hard to get her without her noticing.

Grace-1-web.jpg

EightBitTony likes this.
  18. peterba

You mean... she's so small that she can be sent through the mail?

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

It's feasible. Not cheap, mind, but feasible.

20. peterba

Now you're saying she's overweight...?!! :D

Zou likes this.