1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your most unlikely outfit

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by John Farrell, Mar 3, 2019.

1. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Following on from the "Cameras you have owned" thread.....

My most unlikely outfit is a camera a nephew offered me - his workmate was going to dump it. It's a Konica Autoreflex TC, and it came with a 52mm f1.8 lens, a Macro-Hexanon AR 55mm f3.5 lens, a Tokina AT-X 28-85mm zoom, and a Vivitar 70-150mm zoom, both in AR mount. The camera and lenses looked unused. I later added a Makinon 28mm f2.8, and a Makinon 200mm f3.3, in AR mount, from a Salvation Army shop.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

My first outfit started with a Konica FS-1 + Hexanon 50 mm F1.4. They were rare in Chester and I grew the outfit quite cheaply as there were few buyers when used examples turned up. My pride and joy was an 80-200 F2.8 Hexanon zoom. The whole kit, 2 FS-1 bodies, 28, 50, 135 primes, the zoom and Vivitar flashes (283, 285) was burgled in the late 1980's and it still hurts!

John Farrell likes this.
  3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I've got an FP-1. which is highly unlikely for me - it's a program-only SLR with very little control or even information.

John Farrell likes this.
  4. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Does an Exakta RTL1000 body, with the massive metering pentaprism fitted, used with a 200 mm T2 mount pre-set aperture lens count as a 'most unlikely outfit'?

My first SLR was the Exakta RTL1000 purchased when I was 17 and it was recently discontinued and being sold off, with the Zeiss 50 mm Pancolor lens. I had planned to spend £30 on a Zenit-E, but my father loaned me the extra £20 so that I could buy a German camera rather than a Russian one (the Zenit looked pretty agricultural by comparison).

It was basically a Practika body, but with an Exakta bayonet mount and a removable pentaprism. Mine came with the massive RTL prism with built in 'through the lens' light meter that worked fine but was slow to use. Over the new few years I acquired (all secondhand) a Lydith 30 mm, a Pentacon 100 mm and a Soligor 200 mm T2-mount pre-set aperture lens.

When I was 24 a friend of my father's was on a business trip to Hong Kong and got me a new Pentax MX
    with a 50 mm F 1.7 lens for £95 (when they were still imported into the UK by Rank and sold for twice that price).
    Compared to the Exakta it was amazing - much smaller and better designed. All the Exakta kit was part-exchanged against a Hoya 70-150 zoom. I used the MX camera body for 27 years until buying a Pentax K10 DSLR in 2007, after the death of Kodachrome.

This link reveals all - despite what it says, my RTL1000 always worked fine, as long as you were not in a hurry.

http://www.camera.portraits.srv2.com/pexakta.htm

John Farrell likes this.
  5. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

How about this lash-up?

[​IMG]Low-Budget Leica rig by gray1720, on Flickr

As I was effectively given the body (I canna be arsed to tell the tale now), I took it upon myself to create the lowest budget Leica outfit I could - so there's a Chinese ebay knock-off M to LTM mount, a 50mm Jupiter 8 bought off a friend, and a wacky Voigtlander Kontur viewfinder - the one you can't see through. I had to get the slow speeds fixed, but it works rather well.

Here it is in pinhole guise - the body cap is another ebay knock off, and I'm not sure I didn't fish the Fanta can out of a bin, so keeping it nice and cheap.

[​IMG]The anti-Leica! by gray1720, on Flickr

Adrian

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    steveandthedogs and John Farrell like this.
  6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Possibly my Cosina CSR. It's a cheap M42 manual SLR, but it has spotmetering as .well as centre weighted, and also has a servo attachment that converts it to aperture priority.

7. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Well, I did once have a Hythe Mk. III gun camera... Google it and you'll find out quite a lot about it. I sold it at a vast profit without ever trying to use it.

It makes some of my other weird acquisitions in pre-Internet days look quite modest.

Cheers,

R.

steveandthedogs and John Farrell like this.
  8. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

IMG_2411s.jpg
    Another unlikely outfit goes with the Yashica Pentamatic. This is Yashica's first SLR, from 1960. It had a unique bayonet lens mount. I acquired this without a lens, and then found a T mount to fit - I have 35mm and 135mm T mount lenses. I later bought a Pentamatic mount 135mm lens, seen here, and a 35mm lens fitted with a home made M42 to Pentamatic adapter. The camera is fitted with a Takumar lens, using the M42 adapter.

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I've seen one of those, or something very much like it, at least, at the RAF museum. Clever bit of kit, especially given that military aviation was only really born the year before its release.

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I mentioned my Kiev 10 and 15TEE cameras in the other thread, but I'll expand a little - the 10 is a 35mm SLR with shutter speed priority automatic exposure controlled by a built-in but external selenium cell. It has a special bayonet mount, and a pretty unique metal fan-type focal plane shutter. The 15 is the same, but with a CDS TTL meter. They're big and heavy, but the lenses are relatively small and particularly in diameter, so they feel a bit funny to use.

Then there's the Praktinas - the first true system SLRs. I have both common bodies, and they're very similar. They have interchangeable viewfinders, but also have a second, direct vision, viewfinder. I have a clockwork motordrive, but not the bulk film back. They were cutting edge at launch, but the Nikon F made them look very old-fashioned.

Another camera with two viewfinders is the Rollei 3003 (and the SL2000F) - a pentaprism type finder at the back, and a WLF at the front, albeit sharing mostly the same optical path from the mirror. They also have the relative rarity for 35mm cameras of interchangeable backs. And the 3003 is the only camera I can think of with three shutter buttons (as standard - in fact there's a fourth on the base for use with the pistol grip).

John Farrell likes this.
  11. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

My best value kit would be:
    A Practika MTL5, Carl Zeiss Jena 135/3.5, Carl Zeiss Jena 'Tessar' 50/2.8, Carl Zeiss Jena 'Flektagon' 35/2.4 and a few extras in a nice bag for £10.

It all seems to be in good working order :)

John Farrell likes this.
  12. contax wide boy

contax wide boy Active Member

When I bought a Contax 137MA new it came with a Zeiss 50mm 1.7. Unfortunately I rarely use this focal length so decided
    to save up for a wide Zeiss. Whilst I was saving I purchased a cheapish Hoya 24mm as a stop gap.
    It was so good that it stayed with camera for 22 years. Some of my favourite pictures were taken with this lens and it was rarely off the camera.

John Farrell and peterba like this.