1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your four wheeled friend

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by lfc1892, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Driving too slowly can indeed be an offence if it's "inconsiderate". Which it certainly can be.

As to driving at the same continuous speed on a motorway, well that's something I consider unsafe over any distance - tends to make me lose concentration. Not taking about slowing down then speeding up when someone tries to pass, but more of not using the cruise control except in roadworks.

2. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I've been driving for well over 50 years and tend to make reasonable progress. As a result I don't have much experience of the impatient fellow behind me.

However I've just started teaching my D-in-Law to drive. She's only been driving a few days and obviously lacks experience and isn't as sure with the brake,clutch and accelerator as you all are.

I've been shocked, absolutely horrified, appalled at the actions and lack of consideration of some drivers towards a learner. I do hope that none of you fall into that class.

Two examples;

1. We were stopped at a roundabout with a stiff hill start in prospect. Quite a bit of traffic. A woman in a Chelsea tractor pulls up behind us - seemingly inches away from our rear bumper. We were holding her up and she began to sound her horn. There were two reasons for our slowness. First my learner, lacking experience, wasn't capable of confidently taking off on the hill and using a small gap as you and I would have done. She was (safely) waiting for a gap that she knew that she could cope with. Second she became a bit flustered because (as she said at the time) she was scared of rolling back into the car that was so close. She didn't roll back and eventually all was OK but my student was quite upset at the impatience of the woman behind.

2. Second example. You need to accept that breaking the speed limit on your test will cause a 'fail' . Therefore it's good practice to teach a learner to drive within the speed limit. We were doing that on a winding main road with changing 30 and 40 limits. A number of morons overtook in the most inappropriate places. Their funeral you might think but if anything had been coming the other way that might have needed some urgent action from my pupil (to save the moron and maybe ourselves) I was worried that her inexperience might have gone against us.

As I said I've been shocked by the inconsiderate behaviour of some drivers (some are especially helpful though) and I've resolved to take much more care with learners in future. After all they might be on their first week and it might be your daughter.

MickLL

3. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

MickLL, I am not in the least bit surprised to hear that, and neither, I imagine, will any other experienced road user be.

I see selfish, impatient driving on virtually every journey, virtually every day of the week. Thankfully, not normally directed at myself, but at others who "get in the way" of those rushing about in their very important lives, who appear to have no time or empathy for fellow road users.

I honestly believe it is a sign of the times, possibly on the increase (?), and something which you have to try to teach your D-in-law to expect, and deal with. Easier said than done for a learner.

Regards, Mike

4. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

A one time colleague, who volunteered as a "Ride Safe" instructor, once came out with a rather heartfelt comment: "People who drive Chelsea Tractors should always be assumed to be selfish psychopaths with the courtesy of a drunk football hooligan" (I've bowdlerised this for obvious reasons).

It turned out that one had knocked a trainee off his motorbike, attempting to overtake in a thirty zone. When the police arrived, the excuse given was that my colleague and his two trainees were "barely doing thirty".

They can't park considerately, either...

[​IMG]

5. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

I was very tempted to add in my previous post that the selfish behaviour I spoke of appears to come more frequently from high-end, luxury cars (such as Chelsea tractors) than from others.

I have no evidence as such, just a feeling, so thought better of it - but my sixth sense tells me to give such vehicles a wider berth, especially when on the motorbike.

Regards, Mike

6. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I'll second that, saw 2 of 'em this afternoon on the 50 limit dual carriage way town centre bypass, came storming up the outside lane well over the limit, came up behind 3 cars that were stooging along at about 55, cut in front of me to the inside lane, floored it past the 3 in the outer lane and cut in front of them getting back into the outside lane; typical arrogance of chelsea tractors and many of the overpriced German rubbish (rubbish cos they mostly prop up the bottom of the reliability tables)

7. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Most of the inconsiderate driving that I've noticed has come from young men in 'hot hatches' if that's a current term although there have been a few young women involved as well. The make of car hasn't ever struck me as a factor.

The most considerate seem to be the older men and the middle aged Mum.

Old women seem to be driving in a world of their own - they seem to notice nothing. Middle aged men seem to be in a great hurry, take chances and not care much about others. Young men (not all obviously) can be positively dangerous. Most young women seem OK but, as I said, a few are in the same league as their boyfriends.

MickLL

8. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

If you want to observe selfish driving behaviour then come to France. The driving standards are abysmal.

My four wheeled friend is a 1991 Toyota Corolla. I bought it for £250 four years ago, have spent very little on it since and it has just passed its latest controle technique (mot) with flying colours. That's my kind of car, gets me around for less than the price of a decent camera lens.

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I find younger drivers are a real mixture, sometimes in their case I would take the view that some inconsiderate driving can be down to lack of experience, from the non-hot hatch drivers anyway.

The make I mostly seem to see being driven aggressively/inconsiderately/selfishly are Audis.

10. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Isn't it interesting how different perceptions are. I say that because I've driven thousands of miles in France (off there again next week) and always thought that, on the whole, the driving was OK.

I often use France as an example (a very good example) of discipline in motorway driving. I've noticed very few 'lane hoggers' and even the Brits in France seem to use the m'ways better than they do here.

Having said that I bow to your greater experience.

MickLL

11. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Mick I can see the point when it applies to learners (who in my day mastered the basics in housing estates well away from main thoroughfares), but everywhere I see people who seem to be struggling to work out what to do next. Doh....green light....what does that mean again.....oh yes I can go....so which gear (so many to choose from)....no, better have another good look all around.....

Having lived and driven in many other countries, including Germany, I find the technical standard of British drivers, the worst I've seen. They generally make their own problems with slow reactions and general sloppiness. Their driving skills are overall quite poor. Years ago I blamed it on the awful standard of British cars, but that hardly applies today.

I try very hard not to get in other people's way and hope to get the same consideration from them.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  12. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

OI !!!!

I drive an Audi and have done for ages. Tempting fate I've now driven about 300,000 miles in two of them with only very minor mechanical problems and no 'fault' prangs - a young man did drive into the back of my car a couple of years ago.

I currently have a problem with my car in that it's developed corrosion at the extreme rear corner (off side) of the roof!!

Audi said it's not covered by their 10 year body warranty but it would have been covered by their three year paint warranty. As the car is 8 years old and coming up to 130,000 miles it's out of warranty. Having said all that they are going to fix it at no cost to me as a 'gesture of goodwill'. I don't care what they call it if I don't have to pay!

MickLL

13. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

I used to drive one of these, a very long time ago. This picture isn't of my car, I had the Coupe S with the LX pack (alloy wheels, no body edge trim and so on).

Quite an amazing car for its day...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have no problem with them pulling to the left, it is the point at which they choose to do so that I question. They do it at the point the slip road joins the motorway without consideration for drivers on the slip road. As the speed of all four lanes is usually around 25 at the particular hour of the day they aren't slow moving vehicles in relation to the traffic so they can easily, and legally, remain in lane two for a little longer.

15. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

My comment does not mean that all Audi drivers conduct themselves in that way, more that I have noticed that a fairly large number do so! They seem to have taken over the mantle that BMW used to carry.

16. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

Motorway driving is largely fine now. Motorways are very much quieter than the UK and also there had been a huge clampdown on speeding in recent years. Other roads though are a different story. French drivers are inconsiderate, impatient and dangerous. Tailgating is endemic, indicators are often not used, a recent survey here revealed that half of motorists by their own admission do not stop for pedestrians on crossings - I would say it is more like 90%. Tailgating and overly tight overtaking is the worst trait - very annoying when you are being put in danger. The road infrastructure in France is excellent, roads are very much quieter and yet death rates are twice those of the UK and it's all down to selfishness.

17. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

I'd say they're as bad as each other really. I think they supply an arrogance pack as standard. And that's coming from a bmw man...

18. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I'm off to France in a couple of hours with several hundred miles to drive. If I don't return please don't add 'told you so' to this thread!!

Another thing that you didn't mention, but I noticed, is that the police seem to be doing breath tests to more or less everyone in some places. I've seen it on both of my last two trips. Each time they have tested cars in front of me and behind me but not bothered with me. Maybe it's too much trouble with a foreign car. Am I right - a clamp down on drink driving - or has it just been coincidence.

MickLL

19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Not so much that it's too much trouble, more that they're trying to change French habits and drink-driving culture. The one thing that's horrified me until very recently is the way just about everyone thought nothing of drinking and driving over there. They're trying to change that, as we did back in the 70s.

20. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I'm off driving through France this year too. Is it still a requirement to carry the breath kits in your car as it was a couple of years ago?