1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your four wheeled friend

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by lfc1892, Apr 2, 2015.

1. dachs

dachs Well-Known Member

not if the red truck is reversing I guess
    [​IMG]

2. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

Trick question. We can't tell for sure without knowing the speed of both.

But blur on the car and none on the truck suggests the car is closing in a bit too quickly. If that truck stops dead, the blue car might well rear-end it - unless it mounts the pavement. :(

Regards, Mike

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Or they could do what a lot don't do and that is look ahead. See a slip road, anticipate cars entering and move over. Makes it easier, probably safer and is just courtesy, a thing which is gradually being eroded from the roads.

4. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

I do that myself, depending on the road conditions. However, sometimes the middle lane is blocked, so what is the inner lane driver supposed to do?

It seems to me that, if everyone drives according to the Highway Code, these problems need never arise. Let's imagine four vehicles; two (A and B) joining the motorway and two (C and D) on the inner lane. We'll further imagine that the outer lane is currently blocked as the four vehicles approach the junction.

If all four vehicles are driven according to the rules, the following should happen...

1. A should see the approaching C as he comes along the sliproad and adjust his speed to enter the inner lane just behind C.
    2. D should see A approaching and, if safe to do so, prepare to slow slightly to accomodate A's ingress.
    3. B should now be in a position to see D's approach and be adjusting his speed to enter the inner lane behind D.
    4. A moves into the inner lane and D adjusts his speed a little as A accellerates to match speeds.
    5. B now adjusts his speed to enter the inner lane behind D.

...and so on. In consequence, neither C nor D should need to leave the inner lane, if all parties drive with consideration.

[​IMG]

5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Yeah of course, that's why I said if safe. Seen so many people who think that if they indicate on a motorway to change lane, it is their god given right to change lane, irrespective of what is coming. End of the day the oncoming vehicle should not have to brake or alter its course to allow someone else to swap lanes, the car wishing to move should slow down or have anticipated an overtake, again too many people drive with no further view than the end of their bonnets. It's not as if they accelerate when doing that manoeuvre, they still pass at a slow speed subsequently causing bunching of the cars in the new lane, invariably lane 3

6. BikerMike

I nearly always find myself moving over to the outside lane whenever there's a significant amount of traffic joining from a slip road - especially on a 4 or 5 lane road like the M25.

Primarily, I do it for my own selfish reasons, to avoid losing speed and gettting caught up with the merging traffic. But it also facilitates their joining the motorway by clearing the nearside lanes. Further along the road I'll move back to a middle lane and settle down again.

I know it'll sound strange, but I care about who is in front, behind or either side of me, and will only settle in a particular lane if I'm comfortable with those around me.

Regards, Mike

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

That is very good of you Mike, shame about the HGV drivers who move one lane left at Junction 16, where the road widens, making it difficult to join the motorway, if they could just wait an extra 1/2 mile we could all benefit.

8. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

As I am a learner driver (still), I have an example of some friends driving experience which now effects their everyday driving style - I would like the forums more experienced drivers to shed some light on this and answer a question I am wondering...

the situation

Persons A and B now drive very cautiously, below the speed limit and react early, perhaps too early, to any given situation.

This defensive driving style was caused by elderly driver Person C overtaking another car and hitting A and B head on at a closing speed of approx 130mph. The small hatch back Persons A and B were in was 'ploughed through' by the near 2 tonne luxury estate car of elderly driver C, leaving Person A with permanent and limiting disability down their right side and Person B literally minutes from death at the scene of the incident. Person C was totally unharmed. When investigated, Person C was found to have no insurance, no driving licence because they had not been introduced when they first took to the road, and although entirely at blame for the collision was deemed to be too old for any punishment, as any spell of incarceration would have had the possibility of being a life sentence with them dying in prison such was their age.

The continuing and life changing disability, the close brush with the final veil of death, and the total lack of any perceivable justice has caused their driving to be 'cautious'. If they could, they would avoid driving entirely, but they can't and every time they get behind the wheel now all they are trying to do is not kill or be killed while going from A to B.

the question

When you are behind a driver going slower than you and below the local permissible limits, how can you tell what has happened to them in the past which may be contributing to this inconvenient and inconsiderate behaviour?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  9. Olderbutnotwiser

Olderbutnotwiser Well-Known Member

you've obviously come the the right place. There seems to be a wealth of the utmost expertise here.... :D

10. Sejanus.Aelianus

You're blaming the HGV drivers for obeying the Highway Code. Don't you think that's getting things the wrong way around?

Surely, if everyone obeyed the rules in that document, we'd all be safer and we'd all get to our destinations more quickly and feeling happier...

[​IMG]

11. BikerMike

Obviously you can't - and it is unnecessary to know anyway, for road safety purposes.

All drivers should drive within their limits and as conditions allow. If you come across someone driving slowly, it is your responsibility to adapt to the changed conditions and drive accordingly, i.e. slowly, at a safe distance.

There are various, perfectly valid reasons for cautious driving (learner drivers, older drivers, unfamiliar car, unfamiliar route, inexperienced drivers, weather conditions, etc. etc.), and none of us has the right to expect others to drive faster than they wish.

More confident, more experienced drivers must adapt and make allowances for whatever they come across on the roads. That is the beauty of experience - they know how to.

I am, quite frankly, aghast that some here seem to think there is a case for expecting others to speed up - because we live in a rat-race, and time is money.

That, to me, is an accident waiting to happen.

Regards, Mike

12. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I'd rather they sat another test if it looks like they'd fail it.

13. Sejanus.Aelianus

YES!

Time for a thumbs up from the girls...

[​IMG]

14. BikerMike

Any chance they might offer me a bit more than just their thumbs? :)

Regards, Mike

15. Sejanus.Aelianus

They do an excellent cream tea!

(but make sure beforehand that they have fruit cake left)

:D :D

[​IMG]

16. hobbit1066

hobbit1066 Well-Known Member

totally agree with Mike, as a driver and rider it can be very frustrating to stuck behind a slower moving vehicle, but does that mean i expect them to drive at my perceived acceptable pace - NO
    As a possibly more experienced Driver due to being a rider you learn to read the road and situation , sometime overtaking a slower driver can be inherently the wrong choice due to certain peoples attitudes.
    Note - i over took a slower moving vehicle on the way to work onyl to have them deliberatly swerve over the white line to try and stop me, once i was past i kept up a speed i thought was appropriate to put distance between myself and this driver only to have them come racing up behind flashing there lights and swerving all over the road behind me.
    it seemed there were baiting drivers

17. art

art Well-Known Member

I have to agree. Seems to me there is too much telling other people what to do these days. If someone chooses to drive at 60mph on the motorway, so what? It's their choice and it does no harm to anyone else - the harm arises when impatient drivers become stressed and start driving dangerously in order to overtake.

Not everyone lives in the 'rat-race' and time is not money for everyone. For those who are living such lives, I can only suggest they try to learn how to deal with it and not try blaming everyone else for getting in their way.

18. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Thankfully I didn't have any of that swerving or light flashing last week, it just took the best bit part of 3rd gear to get clear of it when half throttle and a short shift to 4th should have done it. It made my dog adjust his footing:rolleyes::mad:;)

19. Bejay

Bejay Well-Known Member

My #1 hate on dual carriageways/motorways are the people cannot drive at a consistent speed.
    Where possible I use my cruise control to progress at 70mph (I know, I'm the only Beemer at this speed), but even so I can drive at a consistent speed; however, I am constantly having to avoid and repeatedly re-overtake idiots who overtake at speed, then pull across and then back off to practically park in front of me.

20. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

YES every time. But I always considerately flash my lights a few times before hitting the horn. I reserve the middle finger only for the most deserving cases.

If the whole world moved at the pace of the slowest, we'd be in a right mess.