1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your four wheeled friend

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by lfc1892, Apr 2, 2015.

1. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

What do your drive? And why? Do you drive, or are cars killing the planet and so do you stick to buses and bikes?

I've had everything from folding roof merc two seaters to good old people carrying Scenics in the past, but I've been BMW only for the last decade or so now. And diesel only for the last 7 or 8.

Why? Rear wheel drive, so the handling and steering are great. Powerful, yet economical and very reliable. The 320d I have at the moment isn't the most beautiful thing on the road, but it's lovely to sit in, great to drive, and easy on the wallet.

But then different folk have different priorities when it comes to cars, so it may be interesting to know what you look for in a car and why you drive what you do.

2. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I drive a 1.4l Skoda Fabia Estate, diesel. Fuel and engine capacity for economical reasons - £35 VED for a year :). I also cycle and ride the 8.5 miles to work as often as possible which also saves a small fortune.

3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I drive whatever's cheap with 12 months MOT and then drive it until it dies. I don't do loads of miles and a car is just something to get me from A to B. Currently it's a 15 year old Honda CR-V.

4. alindsay

alindsay Well-Known Member

I drive a Peugeot 307, just to annoy Jeremy Clarkson. Drives well, good comfort, fuel consumption is not outstanding. Other than a starter motor replacement recently, it's been trouble-free. I don't drive a lot, preferring to walk when I can, but when I need to go by car, it's a good car to drive. I suppose I could change it for something more fuel-economy friendly, but I'm not sure that with my annual mileage, the cost of changing would be offset by the marginal running cost economy.

5. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Passed my test in 1960, I think, and borrowed Dad's Anglia with the reverse rake rear screen.
    My first car was an 11 year old, 110,000+ mile 3.4ltr Jaguar Mk VII (as in my signature). I learnt most of my car knowledge on it. In 1965 four of us set off in it to drive to Greece, but sadly its big ends went in Yugoslavia, so had to give it away to the local Customs in Niš. (Lost my wife to one of our party on the same trip!)

Next car was a Ford Cortina 1200 SUPER. Drove this to Pisa and back, but next autumn I replaced it with my worst ever car, a Hillman Imp, bought new. What a total waste of time and money - it spent more time in the local service bay than available to me for my use. After 3 agonising years, I replaced ir with a Renault 12 which simply worked... and I had that for 12 years until the driver behind didn't stop on the sheet of ice, and made it a write-off.

I followed with a succession of foreign made vehicles Renault 18, Citroen BX, Renault 21 Auto, Renault Safrane Auto, and Honda Accord Estate Auto. The Safrane was luxurious, but unreliable in a typically modern and dangerous way, and I was pleased to get the Honda. But that too failed dramatically because, being made in the US, it never got an important engine oil-seal recall notice, and I then moved to an Astra G Estate Auto. At last, reliability, and I kept it for over 10 years, >100,000 miles, and replaced it last summer with an Astra H Estate Auto.

I've never owned a diesel, and in view of the particulates problem, glad that I haven't. I do like autos of the classic Borg Warner variety. Sadly, I feel that my latest H Astra has suffered from the cockpit being over designed for looks rather than function, and in this respect, it's not as good as the earlier version.

(I do have my cars serviced in accordance with the manufacturers' instructions.)

6. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

Volvo V60 2L diesel estate.

Because...... well I am 50 next year!

[​IMG]

More seriously - it's got lots of room for bikes in the back and/or camping trips. And is amazingly economical for it's performance. Drove from leeds to Reading (and back) yesterday for a meeting at 57mpg. Barely half a tank.

7. art

art Well-Known Member

I reckon there are two types of car people - enthusiasts and utilitarians (I wonder how this split aligns with Clarkson fans and haters? ;) )

I'm in the utilitarian camp and consider them to be a necessary evil. I've always lived in villages with little or no public transport and a car has always been as essential as having a roof over my head and mains electricity. I have no real enthusiasm for them, though given I could not live without one (well, you know what I mean) then I want it to be reliable, comfortable and capable.

My overriding requirement is for an automatic estate car with a towbar.

A few weeks ago I swapped my 14 year old Mercedes E-class estate, which I had run for 11 years, for another 3 year old Mercedes E-class estate, which I also intend to run into the ground.

Our second car is a Saab 95, now in its 17th year and with no plans to change it until it dies.

8. Bejay

Bejay Well-Known Member

BMW 318d M Sport - company car.
    I know we've been here before on other threads, but living in a rural area a car is the only practical means to travel where I need to when I need to.

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Alfa Romeo Giulietta 2.0 diesel. Lively, good fuel economy and £30 tax. Like all Alfas beautifully designed, these do have a bit of a VW feel though, but not six on every street. Also an older Alfa 147, which is more of a true Alfa Romeo, the Italian leather in this is lovely, streets ahead of the leather in a German car, these cars have a character of their own, one of the few more modern cars that do. The newer VWs that I have owned are just totally bland, Ronseal cars-they do what it says on the tin.

10. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

Honda Civic Type-R. I like sporty cars, it feels very planted on the road, it's a nice drive and it's practical too.

[​IMG]

Although it could probably do with a wash.

11. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Ouch does not sound like a good trip...

At the moment I have a new VW Golf estate it has the new 1.6 turbo diesel engine and the the new 7 gear automatic box. Great car with amazing fuel economy.
    As for my history, hmmm my first car was a 1982 Colt I bought it 1988 and actually would it before I got my licence later that year so not sure if I should count it or not... My second car was a 1985 Ford fiesta I had that car until my brother turned it and wrote it of in 1996 fortunetly he got away with scratches while the car was totally trashed. In 1990 I got a 1974 Chevrolet Nova good fun that car but not very economical... Might have been my driving style that did not help ;). I bought a Nissan Micra it was a 1.2 model and I believe it was a 1991 then I got my self a Nissan Almera 2.0 Diesel it 2004 it was a 1999 model. The Almeda was my last used car as in 2007 I got a new Toyota Corolla then in 2010 I upgraded to a Avensis Estate and now the Golf.

Cars for me are mostly to get from A to B but I will admit that I do like good cars.

12. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I have a Mercedes C250 CDI Sport. It is a nice powerful car and very economical considering. My wife has an Audi A5 convertible which is far nicer to drive than the Merc, albeit not very practical if your rear passengers have legs!

TBH though my 2 year lease is up on the Merc in October, and I will more than likely go back to my last car which was a Kia Sportage. I enjoyed that car.

13. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Think you could be right, art, although I'll be the exception to prove your rule. Definitely an enthusiast but also a utilitarian. That could be why I'm a bit at odds with 'modern' Top Gear. Fast cars are intended to be driven fast, not slowly while burning rubber. In addition, by Bill Boddy's definition I'm a bit of a Cycle Car/Light Car enthusiast. Cheers, Oly

PS: I insist on my all my cars, whatever type, having at least five wheels. :D IGMC. :eek: >>>>>

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

15. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

You feel happier with a spare too then.

Both my cars have space savers, which are dreadful to drive on, aside of the speed and distance restrictions on them. They have full size spares sitting in the boot that I bought from Ebay.

16. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

I'm definitely in the utilitarian camp. Mainly short local journeys these days and less than 4,000 miles a year, hence the Plug-in Prius.

17. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Me too, my latest Astra came with one of these undersized tyres sitting in a full sized tyre bay complete with some "filling" between it and the lid! How daft can you get? Fortunately eBay provided exactly what I wanted, and with the same fancy wheel pattern as on my other 4 tyres, and the tread was deeper.

18. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

My last two cars have had space savers. So far I've driven about 300,000 miles (still using the second car) and never used the 'spare'.

MickLL

PS I guess that guarantees a puncture this afternoon!

19. alindsay

alindsay Well-Known Member

I wonder how they save space. If you have to use it, you have to have somewhere to store the wheel that's been replaced.

20. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Perfectly true - but that's what they are called! My guess is 'money savers' - for the manufacturer.

MickLL