1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your favourite thing you bought this year

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Nigel_Atherton, Oct 31, 2017.

1. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Not bought much photographic kit in this calendar, perhaps having bought two lenses in 2016 left me a bit sated. However here are a few things that I enjoyed giving / receiving this year.

A bottom end DSLR I bought to give to a grandson
    A violin I have just purchased for a granddaughter
    A man-bag y two daughters clubbed together to give me as a birthday present.

Not much help for an article I am afraid

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Ah, the ol' Photosniper. About the only thing you you could do with it these days is have it on display. Try using one on the street and the boys in blue might get called by worried pedestrians.

A mate of mine gets enough unwanted attention just trying to use his Kiev 80 (88?) with a long lens. Mind you, as he admits, from a distance it does look like a small rocket-launcher!

spinno likes this.
  3. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

Gitzo GT2531EX 3 Section Series 2 Explorer Carbon Fibre Tripod.

An expert local nature photographer gives a talk each year at my local camera club, and one year he bought along his kit, and explained it’s benefits, particularly the adaptability of his Gitzo Explorer tripod. Subsequently I had a good look at one when I visited The Photography Show, March 2015. I was impressed, but couldn’t justify paying the Gitzo price. Then in August AP reviewed a Vanguard Alta Pro 2+ tripod, which shared most of the features of the Gitzo Explorer, although it only offered 4 leg angles rather than the continuous adjustment of the Explorer, and probably lacked Gitzo’s quality and continuing availability of spares. I looked up the 3-section carbon version of the Alta Pro 2+, contemplating buying one, and used Google to search for the Gitzo Explorer web page to compare. I was shocked to find that Gitzo have discontinued the Explorer, but Google also displayed a sale offer from Park Cameras for the Explorer at £440 (presumably clearing obsolete stock), so I ordered one.

For macro it’s more adaptable than my lightweight Redged tripod, and also more rigid. It’s far more rigid, taller, and easier to manage, than my old Benbo Trecker. I’m considering getting a Sunwayfoto GH-PRO Geared Head and MFR-150 Macro Focusing Rail to complement it.

It was easy to chose that as my favourite photographic purchase of the year, as although I spent a lot, I can only remember buying two other photo items, and they were what I think retailers call “distress purchases”. Last year I let my camera bag fall from the hook on a WC cubicle door, and it damaged the image stabilization of my Tamron 24-70mm. Because I’d had an ongoing problem with it losing contact with my D800 periodically, which hadn’t occured with any of my other (Nikkor and Sigma) lenses, I refused Tamron’s offer of a discounted replacement, and bought the rather long and heavy Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 VR, only to find that shares the loss-of-contact issue. I suppose it must relate to having the camera round my neck with a heavy lens hanging from the mount.

My other purchase was a replacement of that Case Logic DSB-103 camera bag, sold with a 25-year guarantee, that wore through in less than a year. Case Logic have ceased to make that size of bag, which was the only one I could find that met my requirements, so when they gave me a refund I bought an identical bag the same retailer still had in stock, and spent a lot of time sewing webbing onto the bottom edge, which I hope will give it a reasonable working life (ie see me out!)

I’m Chris Newman, living in Hertfordshire, and the photo is from the internet, of the 4-section version of the Explorer, as it illustrates it’s features better than any I could find of the 3-section.

explorpart1.jpg

4. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Do I detect just a hint of sarcasm here, Roger...? ;)

5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Peter,

No, no, no. When have I ever said anything against blind stupidity and arrogance? We need more of it! Floreat Etona!

Cheers,

R.

peterba likes this.
  6. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens (second hand). It wins by virtue of being the only camera related purchase I made this year, or at least, remember making this year.

I love the sharpness of my 17-50 Sigma, but it doesn't have any weather sealing at all, and it's just a bit short sometimes even on a crop. I do like to stand in the rain and take photographs of people.

7. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

No hardware or software was purchased this year (recently retired and still paying off a mortgage), so my only photographic expenditure so far has been my AP subscription. But is is time for the annual printing order...

At the moment Jessops have a half price offer on their calendars (as always at this time of year, before the Christmas Shopping Panic). Experience shows that if the images have been adjusted in editing software, and brightened for printing, it is best to TURN OFF the 'automatic' picture adjustments that are the default when loading pictures. I have had an A3 one printed every year for the for the last seven or eight years (since I got my first DSLR) , but this year they have an A2 one I can have for £20 with the offer.

I make the usual disclaimer: I have no connection with the firm apart from having a calendar printed each year, and possibly some Christmas cards. It is at least twenty years since I purchased any hardware from them (old or new ownership).

Time to select some images and get my wife's approval for the selection...

8. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Bought a new Manfrotto Ball Head. Best thing I've ever bought I think, never mind just this year.

9. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Nigel,

I would have said the Viewfinder I purchased for my Ricoh GR except that I lost it in Vancouver alley and didn't fancy
    trying to find it and, if I did, would I want to pick it up :eek: So, I guess, it will have to be M-42 to K mount adapter
    which I purchased so I can use the TeleTakumar 400/5.6 I was gifted :eek: ... :)

Cheers,

Jack

10. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Snap! Mine only arrived last week, so I haven't used it. It's still my favourite for the year, as it's the only photographic purchase.

11. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

Thanks everyone for your contributions.

Done_rundleCams likes this.