1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your favourite thing you bought this year

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Nigel_Atherton, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

Hi there,
    Sorry for mentioning the C word so early (when you're in publishing you have no choice) but we're planning a feature in our Christmas issue in which readers tell us about their favourite piece of photographic equipment that they have bought in 2017 and why.
    It could be new or secondhand, it could be the latest pro DSLR or a classic Victorian folding camera. Or indeed something other than a camera: a lens, a light, a bag or whatever. We just need to know:
    • What you bought
    • How much you paid for it (optional),
    • Why it's your favourite thing
    • Who you are (your name and where you're from)

If possible, we want to see a picture of it, especially if it isn't a current product.
    You can post it here or email us at ap@timeinc.com.

Thanks!
    Nigel

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Nigel,

From Frances:

Half a dozen more Faber-Castell Albrecht Durer watercolour pencils for hand colouring. No matter how many I have (and I have around 100 now), there are always a few small gaps where I don't have precisely the colour I need. They're £1.57 each from pencils4artists.co.uk. Next purchase: some more Ilford Art 300 paper, which is the perfect match. I like hand colouring because it's "real" (silver halide) photography and gives me results I can't get any other way.

Picture of pencils on request...

Cheers,

R.

3. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Going back to April of this year, my favourite thing was a Nikon 105mm f2 AF-DC lens.

I managed to get it for £545 second-hand from a reputable dealer - which I believe to be a good price.

I originally bought it for portrait use - after all, that's what it was designed for - and managed to get some reasonable results from using it as Nikon intended. I'm not really one to accept that a lens has just one use and keep it in my 'lens caddy' to just wheel it out under one set of circumstances, so I decided to try some other stuff with it. I gave it a run out on my D810 to try some landscape photography and was very pleased with the results. There's something about this lens that I like - it certainly isn't the sharpest piece of glass that I own, it doesn't have the highest contrast, but what it does do is lend a distinctive atmosphere the pictures I take with it - an atmosphere that's right up my street.

For those who aren't familiar with this lens, the 'DC' part of the designation stands for 'Defocus Control' - the idea is that you can set the lens so that, for whatever aperture you're using, the bulk of the out of focus area is either in front of or behind the point of focus - think of it as shifting the hyperfocal point so that what you've focussed on is either at the very front or the very back of the 'in-focus' range.

My name is Jeff Johnson and I'm from Rochdale.

Just for the record, a couple of examples of pictures taken with the Nikon 105mm f2 AF-DC:

[​IMG]Karen 7 by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

[​IMG]The Road Goes Ever On by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

[​IMG]Abstract Trees 2 by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

Cheers, Jeff

peterba likes this.
  4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Favourite bit of kit this year? Probably the used Nikon D7000 I bought for around £200. Why? Because it will take most of my favourite manual focus lenses and offer accurate and reliable metering with them. Be even more favourite if it could store more than ten sets of lens data...:rolleyes:

On a related note I was interested to discover that a couple of old pre-Ai lenses will actually fit my D5000 without fouling anywhere. Ok so no metering but sunny-16 rules...:)

5. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I'll have to come back to this because, and I still can't quite believe this, I don't think I've bought anything this year! That can't be right, can it?! Off to rack my brains.

peterba likes this.
  6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It's sad really. I've bought stuff (I think) but I'm struggling with the concept of favourite. Stuff serves its purpose.

7. Roger Hicks

Dear Pete,

What a miserably utilitarian life you must lead! Do you not eat food you enjoy, either?

Cheers,

R.

peterba likes this.
  8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Same, not spent a penny on photography this year.

9. Roger Hicks

That's just taking the p*ss...

Seriously, no materials, even?

Cheers,

R.

peterba likes this.
  10. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

** Pedant alert ** I'll bet that you've charged the battery in your NEX-3 a few times this year... ;)

11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Not the same thing at all. Favourite has strong connotations - much more than like/enjoy. Maybe you need a choice of similar things to have a favourite or favourites between them. My lenses and cameras are all different and have their separate uses. Some get used more than others but not because of favouritism.

12. peterba

To be honest, Jeff, I really don't give a flying you-know-what about which equipment was used, but I do like "The road goes ever on".

Despite it being, perhaps, a fairly hackneyed theme, I do think that you've done a great job with it, here. Thanks for posting. :)

13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Nope. Still got loads of film left from last year, and a batch still to process. It doesn't bother me though - aside from sheet film (which I have none of at present) I have everything I need. I want a few bits here and there, but recognise I don't need them. That's a pretty good place to be. :)

14. Huxley

Huxley Member

Hd dfa 150-450 for my K3.

Optically fantastic, would be a Da* lens if it wasn't for the small variable aperture.

Thing is built like a tank, and weights about as much as one, but for photos it's very hard to fault.

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Yeah yeah, you got me. A few pennies after all...

peterba likes this.
  16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

** Pedant alert **
    NEX-3n

peterba likes this.
  17. peterba

Touché! :)

18. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Thanks for that - it's very decent of you to say so.

Cheers, Jeff

peterba likes this.
  19. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Hmm.. I don't think I bought anything... Well I upgraded my phone to get a better camera... I guess that counts? And then I guess that would be my favorite by default...

20. Roger Hicks

Indeed, it has been a lean year for new kit, which is odd when you consider how much better off we all are as a result of the Brexit vote. Or maybe many of us are just old and have most of what we want (or are ever going to be able to afford) anyway.

I haven't exactly bought anything, but I did inherit a 50/1.2 rangefinder-fit Canon which I bought maybe 40 years ago (about £40 with a Canon 7 on the back at a chemist's shop in Downend); had cleaned by Balham Optical of fond memory; gave to a friend for his 60th birthday; and got back when he died at 68. At sensible apertures -- f/2.8 to f/11 -- it's a perfectly normal lens, but it's hopelessly soft at both full aperture and at f/22, with a magical look that you can't quite duplicate with anything else.

I also have in my possession another camera/lens I bought and gave him, a Zenith Photosniper, but I don't know what to do with it: it's in poor condition now (manky pentaprism) and would probably cost more to ship than it's worth.

Cheers,

R.