1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your favourite APOY rounds

Discussion in 'Amateur Photographer Of the Year (APOY)' started by Damien_Demolder, Nov 28, 2011.

1. ianwaite

ianwaite Well-Known Member

Personally I liked the Woodland round, maybe because I won it, lol. But seriously, I enjoyed all the rounds and some outstanding efforts were submitted across the board.

I have one issue that some rounds you needed access to a major city to have a chance, as a disabled person living in rural area it made things considerable more difficult. Perhaps when you choose 2013 rounds this could be considered if possible.

After reading other peoples thoughts in this thread, I would like to say that I would not like to see this competition brought down to a once a year competition, I'm sure I speak for the bulk of competitors that it keeps the interest for the whole year and gives many people a chance of winning something not just three on an annual role of the dice.

I do think it would be nice to have some rounds which do not permit anything more than a little colour balancing, sharpening etc. i.e no computer based heavy editing and filter usage. On the other hand also nice to have some rounds where the opposite is encouraged. I think this would mean the overall winner would probably need to have a broader balance of natural camera skills and computer manipulation.

I would like to thank the magazine and it's staff for a very enjoyable competition this year.

P.S. would ask all entries by Edinburgh based photographers with three letter forum names to be accidentally lost, lol.

Ian :cool:

2. AdrianSadlier

AdrianSadlier Well-Known Member

I enjoy the multi-month format; I still have an interest even if I miss a month (I actually missed 5 months this year).

As to the theme for each month - it doesn't really matter as long as they are varied and not too "clever".

What I would like to see though is different judges each month if possible - judges, just like everybody else, have personal preferences. If the judges stay the same eventually the entries will change to take advantage of these preferences, intentionally or otherwise.

But if the judges are changed (and preferrably not named until after the judging) the only guidelines are the themes and our own interpretation of them which IMHO would make for a more interesting and diverse entry.

Whatever happens, I will try to enter all (or most) of next year's round, and if I'm lucky, maybe make a short list. Most importantly, I will try and have fun doing it!

Here's wishing all at AP, both "residents" and "visitors", a Happy, Healthy Christmas and a Snappy New Year.

Adrian

3. andiblake

andiblake Well-Known Member

My first time of entering and I have loved mixing it with the "big boys". I got a camera full of sand a kit lense that is rusted onto my camera with sea salt,my tripod is held together with tape which is then strapped to my push bike with the same string compo used to hold his trousers up.i set my alarm for 5 every morning and head out rain or shine..i dont care what the weather man says.its not about having all the gear and having more knowledge than a london taxi driver.its all about passion and dedication in my book.
    i dont know what f-stops and iso etc are...it bores me.i know nowt about photography and i dont wish to.i`m as raw as the images i find.the best advice i was given..."keep doing wrong what your doing right".
    my only beef is if you win the 5 grand one year you can come back the next year with your new all singing all dancing jessops gear and compete against the likes of andi blake and his steptoe n son camera gear.... point been if i can finish runner up with the way i go about this photography game...anyone can...just remember your string for the tripod.see you next year with yet more sand and rust in tow.Anyway its time to hit the beach regards Blake
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/73595953@N07/

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  4. andiblake

andiblake Well-Known Member

if it was up to me...
    1.materials.
    2.numbers.
    3.shapes and lines
    4.clouds
    5.sofas n chairs
    6.lights
    7.religion
    8.time
    9.the wheel
    10.fence`s

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Can I just point out that this is an old (2011) thread, and not related to this year's comp...

6. AdrianSadlier

AdrianSadlier Well-Known Member

... you can. And now its been re-cycled ....

7. George W Johnson

George W Johnson Well-Known Member

I don't want to sound like a miserable bugger but I agree with you! I too shoot for my own pleasure and as far as I am concerned none of my stuff ever seems to quite fit the requirements for most competitions either.

8. Camramadbob

Camramadbob Member

I have been entering APOY now for about 12 years. I find that it gets me out and about with my camera and hopefully see your name in lights!

9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

My goodness, I admire your persistence, I really do. I guess I want more immediate gratification and belong to a group on Flickr where I can pick and choose on a fortnightly basis. That gets my creative juices flowing.

Fuzzypiggy? I join you in that one. :)

10. Rothbert

Rothbert New Member

any news on when the 2013 rounds will be announced ? - no patience me ;)

cheers

11. aahimenaah

aahimenaah Active Member

It's not just you, I often think "I wonder which three black and white photos have won this month" when I turn to the APOY page. The judges did confound me one month in 2012 though by picking three colour photos as winners, which made a welcome change. :)

12. cpfc12

cpfc12 Well-Known Member

I don't enter because I don't have time to get those wonderful images in B & W or Colour. I probably don't have the Eye and skill either but that doesn't stop me dreaming that of course I could make it into the top thirty if only the old enemy would give up and release me.
    I also look forward to the monthly results, and watching the striving of the front runners to maintain their grip, not to mention studying the types of cameras used and thinking how I could try some of the techniques on display.
    Long live APOY, don't change a thing.

Regards

Robert.

13. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Today I noted the addition of an 'APOY 2013' announcement to an upcoming 'Next week' panel. I'm afraid that I did not catch the issue date.

In my experience this is a contentious matter :)

It has been questioned (along with theories regards the 'expensive' brands and models used etc.) why AP - and other magazines - publish such 'details' .

Firstly I should state that APOY entries are judged 'blind'. Only later are the 'details' published.

As to why - because if they are not AP has to deal with the enquiries requesting the 'details'.

FWIW one of my all time favourite pictures by a reader published in AP appeared in the 'Maloney' column (now AP Appraisal). If memory serves me correctly it was a seascape taken from a boat of an oil rig.

The 'details' were along the lines of:

Single use camera*

IMO the capture was Turneresque :)

*I believe that manufacturers preferred - as they could be refilled - the term reusable camera.

PS As has been mentioned the OP is over a year old :)

14. IanJTurner

IanJTurner Well-Known Member

You're too kind ... oh you mean that other fellow.

15. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

You never know with the upcoming APOY13 announcement - should you enter - I may have to adjust my reference point :)