1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your favourite APOY rounds

Discussion in 'Amateur Photographer Of the Year (APOY)' started by Damien_Demolder, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

Which were your favourite APOY rounds this year - as an entrant or just as a viewer? Do you like themes that stretch you, and make you go out to take new shots, or do you prefer to show off the pictures you've already taken?

Who plans out what they are going to do for each round? And how far ahead do you shoot?

Just wondering, because we're planning next year's competition at the moment.

Requests??

DD

2. LeeJ

LeeJ Well-Known Member

I felt the themes were pretty similar to those of 2010. Would perhaps love to see a pure "sports photography" round in 2012 as a suggestion. ;)

3. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

beauty in the mundane

4. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Not in any particular order: "Shooting Trees", "People at home", and "Black & White, which have all produced some marvellous stuff.

Suggestions? "Natural energy", "From light to dark", "Trails of the unexpected",
    "Mood music" - how many do you want?

5. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Whatever, but when you print the winners/top 30 in the magazine, please drop the black background; by all means put a black border around each picture, but the black background makes the whole page look too dark (must cost a fortune in ink, too).

Otherwise, I am not bothered, because I don't enter; I like to look at good pictures, though.

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

My main request would be to stop giving all the prizes and ranked places to other people. Do a proper pinhole round (no cr@ppy PS plugins or art filters allowed) and restrict entries to those from Edinburgh based photographers with three-letter AP forum usernames.

Seriously though, whilst there are often some very good pictures, there does seem to be a "APOY look" which keeps prevailing.

7. turbulentwheat

turbulentwheat Well-Known Member

I agree ! one of the reasons I don't bother entering (the other being I'm not good enough..yet:))

8. Clodhopper

Clodhopper Well-Known Member

Don't be silly! Get on with it, and that goes for Zou too ;)

My favourite round this year was Black and White - some excellent shots in the top 30.

Yes, there does seem to be an "APOY" style, and it seems to be leaning towards more and more photoshop work these days, which is kind of alarming...

Re the themes in general... difficult to think of things that haven't been done yet and still keep the competition open to all. I think it's important that everyone feels able to enter every round, even if they only have very basic kit. If you make the themes too specific it may put a lot of people off entering... "Close up" is okay, "macro" kind of implies that you need a macro lens. A sporting theme would be good (I'd struggle with that one!) but may be best to keep with the concepts - journeys, colours, nature etc. to make sure competition is accessible to all.

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I take pictures for pleasure (my pleasure) so if Damien likes them in the forum comp or if they are appreciated and published elsewhere then great - but I will not change my style of photography to enter a photo contest! I have previously entered, and whilst my pictures my not have been to the judges tastes, they were of a level I am more than happy with. In short - I can't see myself entering again, and I won't miss it.

10. Clodhopper

Clodhopper Well-Known Member

Fair enough, but I don't know if there are different judges every year, or even if Damien is one of them... At the end of the day it does come down to personal choice and probably what the judges had for breakfast that day ;) The most important thing is to enjoy photography and take photos that you love, doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks unless you are doing it on a commercial basis...

I found that the one good thing about entering the competition was that it got me motivated to getting out there with my camera and actually looking at subjects I wouldn't have considered photographing before. I discovered that there is more to photography than landscapes and mad dogs and started to learn stuff about lighting, angles, composition, etc and it got me thinking more about photography in general.
    Win or lose, that can never be a bad thing...

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Indeed. IF I were ever to enter again I would likely restrict myself to a year of (say) Holga shots or pinhole shots. You don't need super burst rates for sports or a long lens for nature. That would be far more inspiring a challenge than working out how to photoshop my way to victory and win gear I don't even want anyway. ;)

12. webbian

webbian Member

Favourite round this year? probably the one that I won or is that being a little narcissistic:) other than that probably the B&W round, it seemed to have the best in-depth quality of images although my overall favourite photo was undoubtedly the winner of the creative wildlife round by Simona, such a gorgeous shot and one that I could see hanging on my wall in a frame :)
    Ideas for other rounds, how about instead of individual portraits having a group portrait round or something involving crowds, a lot of people in one place at one time. Another i would love to see is a ps free round, a true straight out of the camera round, which to be honest would scare the hell out of me but would offer a unique challenge in this comp. Following what other people have said here, the winning photos are going more and more towards heavy ps editing so why not pull away from that for one round a year? it can't hurt and we can all learn something about ourselves from doing it. Other ideas...... food, what we eat, where and how we eat it and of course the people that eat it. Lastly, perhaps there could also be an end of the year vote for an additional prize of photograph of the year to go alongside the photographer of the year award, voted for by the readers from the winning entries (or top three) from each individual round.

Looking forward to seeing how it all pans out next year, have a great xmas everyone.

13. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

It has to be mono for me and landscapes,street scenes,patterns anything really.....when I am out with my camera I take pictures of anything that catches my eye, I dont delete anything......one never knows when the theme rubbish may come up!....... only joking.........

14. Jacqui Jay

Jacqui Jay Grasshopper's Sage

I didn't have a particular favourite; I enjoyed seeing all the entries.

I agree with the comments re the black background (it does the photographs no favours) and the developing APOY style (bound to happen if the same people are doing the judging every month, maybe a guest judge each month would skew the bias a little).

I thought the subjects chosen for the monthly forum competitions were much more interesting than those on the APOY.

15. willieh

willieh Member

Hi,

As a newbie to this site (not the mag) I have to say that the Monochrome round has some real inspirational images, not that the other themes did not, but the impact of the mono images just stood out for me. I am looking forward to the 2012 comp and may submit this time around, theres nothing like a good competition as this is, to get you motivated and out trying to capture that winning image (in my eyes at least).

Kind Regards Willie

16. zeity121

zeity121 Member

Firstly, having just got my first ever placing (49th in round 10), I would say show the top 50 on the website and not just the top 30 please. I've actually thought this for a while!

Secondly, I agree with the comments about a certain "APOY Style". It could just be me, but I often think that Black & White rules. The second page of results is often so much more colourful than the first! I like to be inspired, but I don't want to feel I have to change my style just to stand a chance in APOY.

As for possible categories for 2012, how about "Catchy Colours" or "Sunny Days"? Other than these possibles, I quite liked the categories of 2011.

17. zeity121

zeity121 Member

I agree. Especially with 2012 being the year of the London Olympics

18. EdenB

EdenB Member

Enjoyed the competition - it would be nice to see a final top 50 leader board.

19. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I agree with all of the above!

My preference is for a competition run along the lines of the GLPA (Greater Lynn Photographic Association) http://greaterlynnphoto.org/ - as opposed to the GLPA (Greater London Pensioner's Association!). It's a once a year competition, with tight judging schedules, absolutely open to all, with results open for all to see and published within a tight schedule. Communications are excellent and feedback is given on your entries, score-wise.
    Yes! I hear you... Why bother coming in here?
    I thought I would try a home-grown version instead. I did and that's that. Suits some, I've no doubt, but not me.

20. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

I don't have a particular preference for the competition topics as I'm not going to enter any of them because I take the pictures I like - but I do have a request - can the winning pictures be printed better - the winners of the Outdoor round looked so awful I wondered what the judges had seen that I couldn't see in my copy of the mag.