1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You and camera shops

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Aug 21, 2007.

  1. Damien_Demolder

    Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

    This question threw-up plenty of interesting comment and discussion, and the results are interesting too.

    It seems that 26% of users think the most important aspect of a camera shop should be that there is a wide range of equipment on display. The remaining 74% were split equally between being able to try the kit in-store and having expert staff to help explain features and suitability.

    Although the last two options got more votes, in discussions users broadly agreed that the ideal shop would combine all three characteristics.

    Thanks again for voting. You can follow the chat on this subject via this link.

    damien
     
  2. Matt_Hunt

    Matt_Hunt Well-Known Member

    ...and will Jessi *ahem* the camera shops listen I wonder?

    ;)
     
  3. Damien_Demolder

    Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

    Well, let's hope so. I should have mentioned that the retailer who requested those questions was A J Purdy.

    damien
     
  4. Matt_Hunt

    Matt_Hunt Well-Known Member

    That sounds pretty promising, in that a shop whose name is not normally mentioned here as being linked to bad service, is still taking an interest in what works.
     
  5. Barney

    Barney Well-Known Member

    Why is it that whenever I read "A J Purdy" my mind says it in the accent of a redneck hick from the southern states of the US as if he's saying "Ain't she pretty"???
     
  6. JDCB

    JDCB Well-Known Member

    Interesting. I have picked up some stuff in person from AJ Purdy in Harlow. They certainly seem to have good stock availability, and were happy for me to do a quick check of an SB-800 before departing, so that was good. I wouldn't have picked them as a standard camera shop though - you need to call in advance so they will let you in (I think that's a security thing - they probably have £100s of thousands of stock on site, so won't just open the door to anyone).

    Did they specify which optional answers they wanted in the poll, or leave that up to AP?

    Well done for asking AP, though. A company with a sensible approach.

    James
     
  7. Bawbee

    Bawbee Well-Known Member

    Coonass? ;)
     
  8. richardb

    richardb Member

    Nearly all of my kit has come from AJ Purdy. They've always been good in terms of getting me what i want (as everytime its always been in stock)

    They do do retail sale, but their primarily setup for shipping goods out. Hence why it can be a bit off putting if you expect just to 'turn up' to get in.

    Now all i need to do is negotiate some bigger discounts on my next purchase. ;)
     
  9. John_K

    John_K Well-Known Member

    I'm afraid that I have not bought anything for a while from a 'camera shop' of the ilk of Jessops, Camera World etc etc. Jessops especially cater for the mass market and seem to be ruled by the accountants so are not that enterprising where the true enthusiast is concerned.
    Even the local high street in the town where I live is going that way. Sadly they lack the knowledge of yesteryear when assistants knew the products inside out.

    Even the one good shop a few miles away (Darlington) has a young lass working there whom, when asked if she had an adaptor for a particular Tamron SP lens they had in the window all I got was a blank stare as if I had asked her to quote me Einsteins theory of relativity!

    Mind you Mathers in Bolton do seem to know their focal lengths from their apertures and the prices are not too bad either

    No, normally I use mail order to buy my chemicals, film and accessories.

    I buy from the main used dealers up and down the country who all seem to know what they are talking about when I go 'heavy' and require a lens or a camera, so much good quality equipment to be had for a mere fraction of what it was new.
     

Share This Page