1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yorkshire meet?

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by Barney, Jan 30, 2007.

?

Do you think polls are useful?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

There was some interest in a Yorkshire meet up, but it seem to go a bit flat, maybe because there was no specific place nor suggested date. How about narrowing it down to one of York, Whitby or perhaps a Dales shoot? For Whitby I could do a pick-up from York or for the Dales from Harrogate (30 mins on the train from York or Leeds)

2. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

Yorks pretty good for photo ops'. The bar walls can be useful to navigate round the city and provide a few pic's on the way. Plenty of ginnels and snickets as well as St Marys Abbey in the museum gardens. The city is also changing at the mo, Hungate has been flattened to make way for new developments.

Whitby is also nice, if it's on a Sunday it would be a nice day out for my family as well.

3. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

I would luuuuurve to makwe iot top a York day out :D

4. pachinkofan

pachinkofan Well-Known Member

Whitby's good, but as long as you're not taking the train there... [Nice journey, but infrequent and long]

Just thinking of those thinking of that option...

G>

5. Benchmark

Benchmark Well-Known Member

Not even Steam Hauled? :(

6. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

Nope, its from Smoggy-land (Middlesbrough) - the train is even the wrong type for the track as it feels like it will come off the rails (bogies too long for curves or something). Though the stops along the way are realy nice, for example Egton Bridge and Glaisdale.

Erm, is your keyboard working properly or have you spilt chocolate on it? :D

7. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

:eek: Bum, I got excited about the prospect of meeting peeps in York :)

Whitby's a no-no for me Im afraid, far too fiddly to get to from here, plus York has MANY VERY GOOD Pubs :D :cool:

8. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

very true - used to be one for every day of the year, York Brewery pubs are well worth a visit (last drop inn and wonky donkey are favourites) :D

9. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

I change my vote to York then!

10. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Looks like Yorks is favourite then, which is good as I won't have to drive (and can enjoy a pint or three). It's also only 2hrs from London too or just under 3 from Edinburgh. What date are we looking at? I take it a Saturday or Sunday will suit most people.

11. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

[quote
    Nope, its from Smoggy-land (Middlesbrough)

[/QUOTE]

Steady on ;)

12. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

Steady on ;)

[/QUOTE]

What...? :D

...I lived there for several years - and seen the smog! Will have to go back sometime see how its changed.

13. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

What...? :D

...I lived there for several years - and seen the smog! Will have to go back sometime see how its changed.

[/QUOTE]

I know you did that's why I'm not sending the boys round :D Actually, the term 'smoggie' is a little outdated these days. The air quality in the Boro is not as bad as many believe especially as a lot of the heavy industry has closed. In my day to day job I look after two, of three, air quality monitoring stations in the town (amongst other things) so I can get an early warning if things start to deteriorate :D