1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yorkshire Dales, Grassington, 21st May.

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by Les_McLean, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Les_McLean

Les_McLean Well-Known Member

A group of photographers are meeting up for a days photography , Grassington , Yorkshire Dales, taking in Linton Falls, River Wharfe, Hebden Beck and Gill, Grassington Moor and the limestone pavements above Grassington.

The walk is around 10 miles, with relatively easy going.

The photographers (around 10 of us) , are of mixed ability, from relative novices to experienced landscapers.

The day is open to anyone who wants to join us, completely free (apart from car-parking), and although I can't guarantee good weather, I can promise an interesting day out, in good company, with plenty of photo opportunities along the way.

If you do want to join us, drop me a message (so I'll know to look out for, and I'll send you my mobile number)

Will be meeting at 9.30 in Yorkshire Dales Carpark in Grassington (it's well signposted)

Map route below, with information and walk profile (click for bigger size)

[​IMG]

Cheers

Les

http://www.lesmclean.co.uk/

2. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Too far south for me...but thanks for the invite!

Graeme

3. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Too far north for me...but thanks for the invite!

Chris [​IMG] ...sounds like a cracking day!

4. Steve_Bell

Steve_Bell Well-Known Member

As of now that Sunday is free, so I should be there. I'll stay overnight at my sisters in Gargrave, then join you at the car park. It's a very nice area, so far my only walking/photography in that area has been around Malham. Isn't a 9.30am start a bit late to catch the best light?

5. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Yes, I think it ought to start at 05.30 :eek: :D :)

Chris [​IMG] ...now let me see. What will I be doing around 05.30... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

6. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Can't be there, but here's an interesting challenge: Find and photograph (if you should be passing) the most interesting headstone in Linton (St Michael's) church yard. "A tip: It commemorates two of my ancestors, one is my great-great-great-great-grandfather, the other is his brother. Additional tip: both are surnamed: Davis.
    Best of luck, Mike Davis

7. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Great idea for a prank Chris....you go there at 5:30 and you should be able to take all the photos before they get there! I'm sure they will still enjoy the walk....
    :D :D

Graeme

8. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Better still Graeme , you start at 05.30, take some cracking pics then when they show us theirs, you can show 'em yours and say you took 'em at the right time of day :D :D :D

Chris [​IMG] ..meanwhile, I'll be envious of you taking all them pics whilst I'm laying in bed...

PS. We're not falling for that one are we children?

9. Les_McLean

Yes, it probably is late for the best light, but there are folk travelling from quite a distance to get there (Newcastle/durham/lancashire).
    Anyway, I usually find the days out we have, it's how folk feed from each other, understanding how others 'read' a particular scene, swopping techniques, having a laugh and generally enjoying themselves that is important, there are no prima-donnas in the group.
    While you may not come away with any wall hanging images from the day, you will hopefully come away knowing slightly more than when you started :)

10. Les_McLean

Good challenge Mike, I think I have an image of this church somewhere, I'll stick it up in the appraisal forum ,

Les

11. 0

0 Guest

Hi Les

New to the site (I have relative who is a moderator but wont embarass him by revealing all!), looks an interesting day out. I will plan to be there.

Phil

12. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Aw go on Phil. Tell us who your moderator relative is...................we won't tell...................honest! :D ;)

13. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

I'm guessing...Chris (Siuya) :cool:

14. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I would think so..?

Graeme

15. Les_McLean

Phil
    The issue you raised regarding the cycle race, I contacted YD, and this is the response from the press officer :
    Dear Les

Thanks for getting in touch about the walk you have planned for the 21st May. There is indeed an on road cycle event that day starting in Grassington, but it will start and finish at the Rugby Club and the organisers are not expecting any knock on affect on the National Park car park facility. I foyu require any further information then please feel free to get in touch.

Mark Allum

Access Officer Projects

Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority

Colvend

Grassington

So it looks as though we will be O.K,

Les

16. 0

0 Guest

Ok Les

Thanks for clarification - looking forward to it.

Phil

17. downfader

downfader Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good day! Too far north for me as well :)

I must admit that some of my best pics have been taken around midday but on mono film with various filters. :D

18. d_g_edge

d_g_edge Well-Known Member

Hoping to travel up from Manchester, work commitments allowing. Can you PM me with the GPS start point (cut short by window on map insert) and your mobile number in case of difficulty.

Many thanks,

19. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

Fantastic part of the world. Would love to go but am already booked up that weekend. Damn long way from Oxfordshire too but would have turned it in to a weekend away. Oh well!!

20. 0

0 Guest

Les

As it will be full daylight for the walk, are you expecting we should carry tripods?

Phil