1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

York

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by quiteone, Nov 7, 2007.

1. quiteone

quiteone Well-Known Member

Hi All

Will be going to York on Friday (09/11)
    Can anyone suggest any good pic locations in and around York apart from the obvious touristy locations such as the minster,rail museum and jorvik.
    Mrs's is going shop walking and I don't care for that sort of stuff /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif so thought I'd do some boring stuff like taking pictures, any suggestions would be welcomed.

Cheers
    Gaz

2. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Go with your missus to the Shambles so she can browse and shop while you take pics.

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The walls, the walls...

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Cruise either on a bus or boat.
    Lots of old buildings and churches (if that rings your bell).
    Sometimes it's best just to wander slightly away from the main areas.
    There's a good camera shop think it's on Goodramgate?

5. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

I totally agree with you and Benchista, get to the shambles and the walls.

Send the Mrs for a long shop and walk round the whole of the wall, if the weather is nice you should get some good images.

Or if you are feeling brave, climb the stairs in the Minster tower and admire the view.

6. quiteone

Thanks guys
    I'm going to take your suggestions and try some infra red pics.
    I'll get there early ahead of all the touristy people as I hear it gets quite populated there.

Cheers
    Gaz

7. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

You mean Camera Mart on Church Street, used to work in there for a while when I was at college.

Loads of places to go, I suggest a walk round the walls - nice and peaceful as the tourists are usually looking up at them instead of walking on them.

There is a un-used church on Goodramgate which has a spyhole (can't remember it's name but it's near Lady Row)

Museum gardens, riverside footpaths, snickleways.

8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

close but no cigar! :eek:
    I can never remember the names of streets in york- save for Piccadilly which is where the larger Jessops is located...sad I know. Thanks for sorting that out for me

9. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I always remember Whip Ma Whop Ma Gate, which means "neither one thing, nor the other" rather than being violent to your Mum!

[​IMG]

As for York... It's perhaps my favourite city in the UK. Lived there once :)

Lots of subjects for street photography, great architecture and as the others have mentioned... The Wall :)

Great for getting views of the city.

Enjoy yourself, the weather is supposed to be sunny and 8°C

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Reputedly the shortest street in the world, with just 3 addresses - 1a, 1b and 1 1/2.

11. quiteone

Thanks Guys
    Looks like it's going to be an interesting day.

I'll post pics on me flickr site for all to see.

Cheers
    Gaz

12. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Nah, that's Ebenezer Place, Wick, Scotland at 6ft 9in :)

WhipMa is 114ft, but is the shortest in York and the longest road name in York.

13. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Woo you man of good taste! I am catching the 12 o'clock train there today for a long weekend in a field :)

Forget the photos, check out the pubs, pick up a copy of the Ouse Boozer and Bob's yer mother's brother :D

14. hodgo

hodgo Well-Known Member

I Live between Hull & York, and while York is not a place I like very much it has some fabulous locations to snap away at. I'm off to collect my Step Dad this afternoon & head to the railway museum so hopefully we should get a few shots there.

One thing for folks to try out is the "York Eye" similar to the one on London only smaller.

Graham

15. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

Church St goes on to Goodramgate btw, so close enough ;) :D

..won't tell you what Grape Lane was originally called :eek:

16. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

:eek: As opposed to H*ll :D :eek:

17. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Sultana Lane?

It's like in London there used to be a "Gropec##t Lane", the road has changed now and it has a very respectful name!

18. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Parliament Square

19. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

:D :D:D:D:D:D:D
    :D ROFLMFAO :D
    :D :D:D:D:D:D:D

20. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

did think it might have been ....................... Clapham Common....... or ..............
    Downing Street