1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

York Minster and surrounds

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Larry Shone, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

Re: Museum gardens

The museum gardens is a stones throw away from the minster - if you walked out of the museum garden gates and looked left you'd see the front of the minster but don't walk out too far or you'll get hit by one of the open top tourist buses :D

2. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Yes about 200 yards away :D

If you hit 'Satellite' in the googlemap link youll see the Minster the other side of St Leonard's Place.

3. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

Yea I grabbed the pic and saved it to the PC /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. Larry Shone

Well we went and well,what an amazing place! Words fail me,all the history,the architecture,just fabulous and no photo can do the minster justice! You know we would even consider moving there,the only city we would think of moving to.
    The railway museum was brilliant but we were a little disappointed as we were hoping to see the Flying Scotsman but it was in bits,being restored. We watched a video of it arriving in york in 2004 helped by a diesel engine and with Richard Branson on board-he was the one who put the money forward to keep her in the country-the americans wanted to buy her. Was quite an emotional moment and would love to have been there at the time. As for photos well i took about 100 altogether and had a go at some candid people shots,a first for me! What i will do is upload them all to photobucket and post a few in the gallery with a link to the rest,but its gonna take me a week to process them all!

5. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

York

Glad you enjoyed it Larry :D

6. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Glad you enjoyed York. It's my favourite UK City.

I have a fully animated 3D model of The Flying Scotsman and a digital copy of the original plans. I worked on the website for the 4472 when it was privately owned.

7. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Wouldnt anyone! :eek: My favourite UK city and I have tried to move there on more than one occasion :eek: Circumstances not allowing me tho :( Not cheap either, although it could be a lot worse.

Glad you had a good time! :D

8. Larry Shone

Thats cool Fen!
    The only niggle with York is its not very family/ pushchair friendly. Crossing some of the roads was a nightmare,some strange crossings.

9. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Its a bit of a barsteward round the Railway Museum end, and the junction at High Petergate

10. Larry Shone

Yea crossing the road near the Wall towards the Museum was very weird-and i wasn't expecting a cycle lane inside the tunnel,very strange. Great place tho!