1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

York Minster and surrounds

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Larry Shone, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

We shall be going to York for the day next wednesday and of course I'll be taking my camera,any tips or recommendations before I go? I will be travelling by train with Helen and will be taking Matthew with us in the pushchair.

2. zx9

zx9 Well-Known Member

As you are going by train, have a look at the National Rail Museum, it is next to the station and free to enter.
    If the weather is good, there is loads to see and photograph in the streets of York. A walk on the City walls is always good, but not with a push chair and the best views of the Minster were covered in scaffold when I visited a couple of weeks ago :(
    As I said in the 'rip off Britain' thread get your sarnies from the £1 sandwich shop in the Shambles.

3. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

As ZX9 has said, York is a great place and a walk on the walls is a must, if you are feeling brave, how about climbing to the top of the tower?

The views from up there are superb on a clear day and well worth the effort.....

4. Larry Shone

Thanks zx9 we'll remember the sarnie advice ;) won't be going up the tower,too pricey and a bit of a struggle with a 2 year old in a buggy, as eos the Rail Museum,well thats one of the reasons we're going! Expect some train pics when i get back. In mono of course a la Wilson;)

5. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

£3.50 to go up the tower last time I looked. Possibly leave Helen and Matthew at ground level and do the climb yourself :D. Some good shots are on offer and its cheaper than the Yorkshire Wheel at the NRM (£6.50 each!!)

6. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

This is the Minster you are on about? The place that now charges you to go in? admission charges

7. Larry Shone

Well to be honest I've never been to York, somewherre I've long wanted to visit because I love old historic buildings and I've been told there's not much better than York. We'll just be going in the Minster(still 11 quid for the 2 of us!) but theres plenty else to see, and we will no doubt go again in the future.

8. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

Plenty to see otherwise - just nice to wander around the town centre, have a wander down the Shambles and maybe take in a pub or three.. There's the Castle Museum and Cliffords Tower. You could always go to the very top of Marks & Spencer as they have a viewpoint up there that looks out over the market and across to the Minster.

9. Grierson

At least the locals get in for nowt. :D No good to Larry though.

10. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

Dunno where my York card is (free entry into Castle Museum as well)

11. ajt

ajt Member

I can't decide what I think about this - on the one hand, a church is a place dedicated to God, etc, but on the other hand, 98% of those the cross the threshold of York Minster Monday-Saturday are not there for worship. Mid-week evensong probably gets a congregation numbering, oooh, in the tens :) Personally I tend to go to cathedrals for 2 reasons - 1) I'm conducting the visiting choir, 2) I want to take pictures. If I'm there to take pictures, I think I think that it's only fair to make a contribution to keep the building upright and the lights turned on. I *am* there to appreciate the building. I'm *not* there to have a chat with him/her upstairs.

12. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

I used to go in to get out of the rain.. and admire the architecture while I was there.

13. Larry Shone

You think York is expensive try Beamish. 45 quid it'd cost us to get in! Mind you it costs them 3 Million a year to keep it open!

14. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

15. Larry Shone

Re: Museum gardens

thanks chris, what museum is this?

16. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

17. Larry Shone

Thanks chris.Still none the wiser but i'm sure Helen knows it. Near the Minster?

18. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Click on the map where it says Satallite. You'll see a pic of York Minster to the right (everything is near Minster) ;)
    Use the plus and minus to zoom in and out of the map...

19. Larry Shone

ah got it.It wasnt working for me from my phone but I'm on the PC now. Thanks for your help Chris.

20. Grierson