1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ynys Mon/Anglesey

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Per, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Per

Per Well-Known Member

I have a week booked next week in a cottage on Anglesey (after working over the mid winter festival) and am hopeful of some togging. I will be staying near Aberffraw on the West coast.

I'd really appreciate any advice or suggestions from the forum about interesting locations at this time of year. I shoot landscapes and closeups mostly.

[As a total aside, I've just got a place on a David Ward trip to Harris in May - am I excited or what!! :)]

2. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

3. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

4. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

When I was a kid in the ATC we had an annual camp at Valley. I've still got the photo of me(somewhere)with the rest of the squadron standing in front of a Hawk.

5. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

I had to learn to do the "Valley Lean", a pain when the wind stops though :D

6. CircleOfConfusion

CircleOfConfusion Well-Known Member

Penmon and Puffin Island are worth a visit, Beaumaris is a lovely little colourful town, and you can take boat tours round puffin island from the pier there. South stack light house at the north-west end is great too. Newbrough warren/beach and Red Wharf bay are lovely beaches too (there's a couple of £'s charge per car for Newborough). Rhosneigr has a nice beach for rock pooling etc. and is a good place to do some water sports (windsurfing etc.) if you're that way inclined. Cable Bay is right next to Aberffraw and is usually very quite, its right next to the road but has no facilities/town so doesn't get too crowded (although I shouldn't imagine there'll be many people about at this time of year). I'd also recommend popping over to the mainland and exploring Snowdonia if you have time!

7. Per

Per Well-Known Member

Thanks everybody - off tomorrow!

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Have fun!

9. johnrhos

johnrhos Member

A must on your trip here is a visit to Parys mountain at the northern end of the island near Amlwch were copper was mined years ago.That'll keep your camera busy for a while !!
    Enjoy your trip :)

10. Per

Per Well-Known Member

Thanks again everybody. While its all still fresh in my mind (and boy, was that wind fresh), here's a summary of the locations that looked most promising in January:

PORTH WEN - bay and accessible disused Victorian brickworks
    COAST PATH - particularly from Porth Wen to Porth Llanlleiana
    ST CWYFAN CHURCH - 12th C, on island cut off at high tide. Walk from Aberffraw
    SOUTH STACK LIGHTHOUSE - Dramatic lighting a must I think
    PENRHOS FEILW standing stones - 10 feet high pair (31 visible telegraph poles notwithstanding!)
    MYNYDD MECHELL disused watermill - accessible from footpath at windmill
    BEAUMARIS PIER
    PENMON POINT & PRIORY (but sun rises behind mountains)
    ALMWCH COPPER MINES - a challenge for composition

I would have loved to catch the reflections of the snow-tipped mountains in the wet sand at Newbrough warren but it was straight into the teeth of a gale, and the mountains were permanently in cloud!