1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yanny or Laurel? What do you hear?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Catriona, May 16, 2018.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Trust me. I hear Yorel!

Kate

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Hmmm, my hearing cuts out a a bit over 10KHz.

I hear Laurel.

When he plays just the upper frequencies, I hear... Gary.

Eh? o_O:confused:

Catriona likes this.
  3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Without any question Yanny every time (having said that stopped listening at 2.30)

Catriona likes this.
  4. Catriona

if I recall correctly, Yanny means you've joined the club of oldies so far as hearing is concerned. When he upped the volume later, the Lauren was more audible - however I clearly heard Yorel - a mix of both!

5. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Using my high gain NHS digital hearing aids, I heard something like "Yanny". Without them my hearing spectrum is very poor (60dB loss and 40dB loss), and looks like a peaky mountain range. No way could I hear even imagine the alternative suggestion.

6. dream_police

I know my hearing is not as good as it used to be. I used to have yearly hearing tests at work. As it stood in my latter years, I would never have passed my test to get on the firearms unit and I apparently would have failed to even get in the police. Perhaps I should sue, all those years of shooting.;)

Catriona likes this.
  7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yellow then Yarrol.

Catriona likes this.
  8. dream_police

It doesn't help that he doesn't speak proper Engerlish like what we do.

Catriona likes this.
  9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

yarry

10. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Laurel for me, I am a Hardy soul....(cue for comedy and tree puns...or not)

peterba and Catriona like this.
  11. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Yelly.

Probably not helped today by being in the car and having to wear hearing aids.

S

Catriona likes this.
  12. steveandthedogs

I'd have lief not read that.

S

13. Catriona

I don't have a hearing aid yet, but I do find cars very difficult places to listen to someone talking. In fact I find cars uncomfortable now. Why is this? Do you know?

14. steveandthedogs

'Fraid not, Kate.

You will have lost the top end of your hearing due to being a bit over 21, which may make the words difficult to distinguish because the middle and lower frequencies are being swamped by the car noise, which I guess is mostly middle/lower.
    Bit like being in a room full of people talking, one voice gets drowned out in the mush of frequencies.

On the other hand, it could be almost anything, 'cos I'm guessing! Hearing aids may help [even better when you turn up to Audiology with a broken aid after five years and they hit you over the head since they like to CLA them every six months... nobody told me that.] by boosting the upper frequencies.

S

Catriona likes this.
  15. Catriona

Thanks. I keep having a sneaky thought that the pressure inside a car is higher? Don't know. I just feel strange and sounds seem muffled.
    Keep out of cars Kate! :)

16. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Actually I heard a Satanic message....

17. steveandthedogs

Down to audiology, madam!

S

Catriona likes this.
  18. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Yanni. Yanny. Yanny. Yanni. Every single time. Even when the bloke separated it all out and said "here it quite clearly says Laurel", I heard Yanny.

The other day I was asking my husband if he could hear a particular noise and he commented that I had much better hearing than him. I agreed as I found the source of the noise and switched if off, amazed that it hadn't been bugging him as much as it did me. Then I was in the back seat of a car with two friends in front and I sat there for five hours not being able to hear more than about a third of what they said. So I can hear tiny irritating buzzy noises but not conversation! (That said, I don't know that it's necessarily an age thing. I have never been able to hear anyone when in a swimming pool or at parties or in the pub either.)

Catriona likes this.
  19. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I played it backwards. Ozzy Osbourne suddenly materialised out of nowhere, looked at me, shook his head, said "oh no, not you again" and then vanished in a could of yellow, sulphurous smoke.

Cheers, Jeff

John Farrell, Geren and Catriona like this.
  20. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member