1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Y

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by caledonia84, May 16, 2018.

1. caledonia84

caledonia84 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]Y ThO?! by Scott H, on Flickr

Visited Kew gardens while in London at the weekend and it rained for the full 4 hours I was there all the while being gloriously sunny back in Scotland :(. Enjoying working with a zoom lens again, this 24-105 is very good for a general walk around focal range. Not the same IQ as my primes but what good is IQ if I can't get or miss the shot anyway?

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Very nice. Could discuss endlessly where they ideally should be. Personally I think I'd prefer lower, on the lower third approaching the choice, or a little bit further up.

Nig likes this.
  3. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Oooh I like that. Could re-name it 'Decision Made' :)

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Lower down approaching the choice would balance it a bit better I think, it feels a bit top-heavy.

Must go to Kew again, it seems like a long time. That tree walk was newly opened if I remember rightly. I saw the thread suggesting a visit - last time I looked it had sidetracked off to something else.

5. caledonia84

Makes perfect sense, had a look through the other shots but they were all coming towards me :(

much better than Y!

Thanks Pete, the new Pagoda looks very impressive too and is due to be finished for the summer so might be worth waiting for that

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Nicely observed, they look as though they are walking on a tree. Might have been even better with them a little less far along the path, then we could ask which way will they choose?

7. caledonia84

Thanks Nimbus, definitely a better suggestion for the composition

8. EddieBP

EddieBP Member

Nice photo. A couple of things:

I can't help wondering where you were when you took this. On a bridge?

I wonder what it would look like in black & white?

Eddie

9. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Would make a nice jigsaw.

10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Didn’t think there was such a thing.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You either like them or loathe them.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  12. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

You can probably guess what side of the fence I am on.

13. AdrianSadlier

AdrianSadlier Well-Known Member

Well spotted and captured.

But I am inclined to prefer a different position for the couple - something like this, perhaps?

[​IMG][

14. luisport

luisport Well-Known Member

Dear Adrian,
    Nothing shows what way they are taking and what made Scott take the picture has been altered.
    Someone in this forum once said; "your first take is the one you feel". I know the afore mentioned
    individual will probably remember it. For me it was a great AP forum lesson.
    Cheers,
    Luis

AdrianSadlier and Roger Hicks like this.
  15. luisport

Or a different title, "Path Taken".
    Cheers,
    Luis

AdrianSadlier likes this.
  16. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Another possible title is "Mainstream". Or "The path not taken." I much prefer the original version to the one where they've been moved.

Cheers,

R.

17. AdrianSadlier

AdrianSadlier Well-Known Member

All of the above, personal preferences not withstanding, shows one of my favourite aspects of photography. We each have our own interpretation of the same opportunity (assuming Scott was in position in time to have taken the shot earlier).

If I had been taking the shot I would have taken it where I positioned (crudely) the walkers. That would have been my instinctive take on the opportunity. Better or worse than the original, who knows?

Having viewed and considered the subsequent feedback I am still of the same opinion.:)

18. Roger Hicks

Dear Adrian,

I think I'd probably have shot both (at least). But I think I'd probably have chosen the OP's version. Only "probably" because the first pic you shoot (or see) always carries extra weight.

Cheers,

R.

19. luisport

What Scott took is Street and you do not have the time to foresee it. Happens, if you are close to taking it then name it to still keep the feeling.
    Happens and it's gone. I missed a huge one a few days ago.
    Getting out of the Natural History Museum in NYC there was this elder who could hardly walk, there was a younger guy holding an umbrella that
    protected the older folk while he "played" with his dog. I was too late to turn the camera on and snatch the real moment. I only got to take second
    moments.
    Still, the image, remains in my mind but I can not share it graphically.
    Happens and it is gone.
    I will always keep in my mind your yawning old feller posted on the street category a couple of years ago,for me it was a winner. That was taken.
    Would you fake it?
    Cheers,
    Luis

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  20. Roger Hicks

Dear Luis,

You might find "A Photograph Not Taken" interesting; it's a similar story. It's quite a long read so leave it until you have 5-10 minutes.

Cheers,

R.