1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xiaomi Mi5

Discussion in 'Smartphone photography' started by Craig Vanrooy, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Craig Vanrooy

Craig Vanrooy Active Member

I've always bounced between a few brands - I had some of the original Iphones in the early days before switching over to Sony and primarily Samsung. I've always thought you got more for your money with a Samsung. However, this year I held back from upgrading to the latest model as the amount of money that I sink into a phone for a negligible increase of spec cannot be justified. A few colleagues are currently working in China and have currently picked up a Xiaomi Mi5 for around £150. Initially it was because they were dual sim phones but they turned out to be so much more.

So, I did a bit of research and was surprised to see Xaiomi is a pretty major company and has held the record (at times) for the largest smartphone company in Asia. Sadly, they do not export to the UK but it is relatively easy to get one imported.

I had a play around with it last week and here is a few test shots (all shots have been done on the camera using no external apps) It has applied HDR type adjustments automatically on some shots but this can be turned off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

these were all taken in the first week of owning it and I've been pleasantly surprised. For less than half the price the specifications are outstanding and whilst there is no arguing that the latest Iphone and Samsung are most likely better (just!) It's defiantly up there!