1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X-t10

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by steveandthedogs, Sep 12, 2017.

1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I find I'm not taking the Pentax out much these days, mainly due to the size and weight and am thinking of something smaller, lighter and a bit less conspicuous.

I've seen an X-T10 plus 18-55 for £697 NOS, or £549 refurbished.

Has anyone got any comments about this camera/lens for these prices or indeed about the camera itself?

S

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Seems a bit pricy. The next generation (XT-2, XT-20, X-Pro2 and now XE-3 - just to confuse) arrival caused a lot of trade ups and a lot of s/h stuff seems to be sitting at hopeful prices.

3. steveandthedogs

The second hand stuff is definitely not cheap,, though, bodies seem to be well over £300-350, with the 18-55 even more, so buying used would be even dearer than one of the NOS ones, or definitely the refurbished. The T20 with lens is about £1100, which is somewhere above the clouds as far as my finances are concerned.

I have wondered as well about the X-E2s, which is £549 [X-E3 about £1250]. I think it is a bit smaller than the T10, which appeals.

S

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I think Brian is the Fuji expert .... ;)

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The XE-2 with firmware 4 is pretty much the same. That's what I have. I don't like the EVF much but results are OK. I'm minded to get an XT-1 as a second body but when I see 7 of them side-by-side in the window month after month the asking price is too high!

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The local Currys has new X-T1s for £409, which doesn't seem vastly more than the price used.

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Seems somewhat high. Essentially there are not great performance differences across the 16mp cameras, afaik there are two generations of sensor, it is down to which camera you prefer as much as anything. The 18-55 is excellent and has stabilization, far superior to the DSLR kit lenses in performance and build. I got an 18mm f2 as part of a kit and I have used it once, just carrying the zoom normally.

8. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I'm not up-to-date on the prices, nor am I familiar with the xT-10, but I can certainly vouch for the 18-55mm. This lens is not like a kit lens from 'Canikon'. Build quality is very nice, and it is an excellent performer. It always impressed me on the x-E1.

9. steveandthedogs

To cap it all, there's an X-T1 for £299 in the nearest [almost said "local"] shop.

My head is starting go walkabout. Should I go for new-old-stock X-T10, X-E2, X-T1 or just wait for prices to drop a bit?

It's been quite a while since I last looked at an EVF, didn't think much of them at the time, but believe they have improved.

I think the answer is to drive up the coast and have a good nose at one or the other. And then go for a long walk to think about the bank balance.

Thanks for the replies all; one more question, how do you find the handling, size, weight and what I could describe as general "cameraness" - actually going out and using it?

S

10. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I'll be honest, I'm intermittently tempted by a Fuji - but absolutely overwhelmed by the choice in the range.

11. steveandthedogs

That's it!

S

12. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

No I just buy em;)

But it rather depends on one's photography. For my happy snaps any X100 would do.......look at my Flickr page. Don't get succoured into the more pixel thing, The owner of one of the last independent professional retailers still uses the X100, not even the S

But for reasons given elsewhere I have explained why I don't own one.

But if budget is a consideration X10 +18-55 all the way. Forget the zoom being a kit lens, it's a cracker. I have five of Fujis best primes, but the little zoom is welded onto my XPro 2.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  13. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Indeed. I still use the original x100 - it's a favourite.

14. steveandthedogs

Not literally, I hope!

I'm not too worried about the pixel count, more the size, weight and usability.

Hell, now they've got in a X-Pro! for £219 as well.

I'm going to have to get the car out and hope there aren't any floods on the way there.

S

EightBitTony likes this.
  15. steveandthedogs

Well, that's that, then. Money's gone from tight to strangulated and it's ALL YOUR FAULT, BRIAN!

One brand new X-T10 and 18-55 kit later...

But at what I think was a reasonable price, and actually slightly lower than buying used body and lens as separates.

No, I can't understand it, either.

Thanks for all the comments chaps. They were helpful.

S

EightBitTony, peterba and Craig20264 like this.
  16. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The prices for the 18-55 in the used arena show a very marked difference across sellers, some ask what I view as crazy prices for them. I bought mine in an Ebay auction, for comfortably below £200 nearly eighteen months ago. It was in nice condition cosmetically (still is!), I put the low price down to the hood being missing. A couple of weeks later I picked up a used hood at a low price, the whole lot was under £200 even with postage charges.

17. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

When bought separately, kit lenses are vastly overpriced?

Oh well, by the time you can afford more Fuji lenses, you should know that one inside-out! ;)

18. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Compared to top canon and nikon lenses of similar quality, the Fuji lenses are either lower priced or in the same ball park.
    Neither canon nor nikon have a lens in their range that matches the fuji 18-55 for quality or price. The fuji 16-50 XC fits the kit lens description rater better, and it too is exceptional quality for the price.

The 18-55 is not really a kit lens at all, but rather it is many peoples first choice. And if bought with a body is remarkable value.

I do not quite understand why some people expect Fuji lenses to be cheaper than their competitors.

peterba and Brian like this.
  19. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Many Fuji lenses don't have direct equivalents by comparison with the mainstream DSLR ranges. Fuji have ploughed a different furrow with their cameras and lenses. I view the f2 prime range as a wise strategy, light lenses with reasonable speed, nice build quality, comfortable pricing and excellent performance. There would seem to be little advantage in mirroring what Nikon and Canon do, although if you want or need them Fuji make some nice fast primes, such as the 35mm f1.4 and 56mm f1.2.

20. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Possibly because they don't equate Fuji with lenses and aren't aware that Fuji made some fine lenses back in the days of manual film cameras or that they have a good reputation in the movie world.

peterba likes this.