1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X-T1 - vertical black lines on image

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by cerebros, Jun 23, 2017.

1. cerebros

cerebros Active Member

Hi everyone

I've just this evening finished going through my snapshots from a family trip to Twycross Zoo this weekend when I took the X-T1 along with me.

I took 389 images on the day and have found four that have vertical black lines running down them as per the image below.

They're consecutive photos, numbers 280, 281, 282 and 283 I shot on the day within a few seconds of each other as my youngest was making her mind up whether to climb through the hole or not while playing on the splash pad. I've not seen this come up before with my X-T1 and it performed normally for the remaining 106 photos I shot using the camera that day.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here?

thanks

[​IMG]

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

using raw files I had very rarely (maybe 6 frames in 9 years) what must have been a write error in the file header of my Canon 5D. It resulted in blocks of rubbish rather than stripes. The embedded jpg thumbnail which shows on the LCD in review was OK and the problem only showed trying to process the files.

Somehow you have blocks of "zero" in the file at precise intervals. I don't know if the files are encoded horizontally (lots of little blocks) or vertically (few large blocks). The old ccd sensors used to be read a line of pixels at a time but I think cmos ones are parallel processed otherwise it might be read error on the sensor but a hardware fault like that wouldn't just happen for 4 frames. You could ask Fuji support, or the users forum. It was the user forum where I found that I was not alone with problems after updating the firmware on my XE-2 but if I remember your inbox gets full because the forum emails you any answers and the threads drift as they do here.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The vertical black lines are actually horizontal black lines-the camera is in portrait orientation here. It could be a writing or card glitch, I notice the line to the right is fainter than the rest. It may never reoccur.

It does also occur to me that the weather has been exceptionally hot, which may be a factor.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Clever Fuji! It's their "Scratched Film" emulation mode. ;)

5. cerebros

cerebros Active Member

Good point

I did consider that but the first image with this problem was the third in a burst taken at 13:35:52 (according to Lightroom), and the other three were in a burst shot at 13:36:03 (the next clean shot was at 13:36:41). I don't think things had dramatically increased or decreased in temperature in that short a time, and if it was the camera itself overheating through use I would have thought the problem would have shown up on a lot more images than it did, as the camera got used far more intensively while at the splash pad than elsewhere round the zoo.

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The weather was just a possible factor, a card issue or writing glitch seems more probable.

7. cerebros

cerebros Active Member

Hopefully just a one-off glitch...

8. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Yes. If it is down to the card at least it is a low cost fix though.

9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Have you reformatted the card? I had an odd problem with two pix off my 40D the other day where two consecutive images had a sizable area in the bottom right corner appear as a multi-coloured block in Bridge while DPP would't even read the file. Luckily I hadn't gotten round to reformatting the card so downloaded them again and all came out fine. Might be worth trying the same with these images.

10. cerebros

cerebros Active Member

Good thinking there. Went back to the card and Windows' previews showed no black lines on the RAW files so I overwrote the files on my laptop and discarded then rebuilt the various previews.

11. PeteRob

So you copied the files again to the PC and the lines are no longer present?

12. cerebros

cerebros Active Member

Correct. In actual fact, I'm wondering if in fact it might have been a problem with the previews Lightroom generated not the RAW files themselves (might have been a good idea to check that before I copied the files over from the memory card)

13. PeteRob

That is really wierd. Run a disk check because it does look like missing data. Is the Lightroom catalogue backed up? As part of the backup it does an internal integrity check.

14. cerebros

cerebros Active Member

Well I'm now more convinced that it was a Lightroom issue. I pulled up the daily backup of my laptop for the day before I copied the files across from the SD card and the black lines aren't there on the RAW files as they existed on the laptop.

15. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Scouting around the Adobe forums, people do sometimes report this issue with Lightroom (as far back as version 4), and everyone goes on to theorise endlessly about the root cause, but ultimately, if they just re-import, the images work a second time. So I'd suggest not worrying too much and just moving on, looks like an intermittent, infrequent issue with Lightroom.

16. PeteRob

Worthwhile to know. Tx.

17. cerebros

cerebros Active Member

Yeah, I'm thanking my lucky stars that it was something that was fixable and bearing in mind for the future