1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X series lenses - which are your favourites?

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by aahimenaah, May 6, 2015.

1. aahimenaah

aahimenaah Active Member

The selection of lenses offered by Fujifilm for its X series cameras is slowly expanding.

http://www.fujifilm.eu/eu/products/digital-cameras/fujinon-x-mount-lenses/

So far I've only used the basic 18-55mm lens on my XE-1, which is a lovely versatile piece of glass but wonder if I should consider getting another. My particular beef is that the autofocus is a bit sluggish and I'm missing a lot of spontaneous people shots - it has been flagged as a general shortcoming of the camera, but maybe a fast prime could improve matters?

That said, I'm starting this thread to find out what you all think about the X series lenses in general. Now they've been around for a couple of years, are there any favourites emerging?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Check for firmware updates. I don't think the lens choice is that significant. I am not aware of the 18-55 being particularly slow for what I use my x e2 for but I don't see it as an action camera.

3. aahimenaah

aahimenaah Active Member

Firmware is up to date - I guess this just means that there are still a few occasions when I can't leave the DSLR at home.

4. Derek_R

Derek_R Well-Known Member

I have an x100s and I'm really find myself enjoying that fixed 23mm lens. I believe that 23mm at APS-C size equates to 35mm in old money. It's a nice carry round camera.

I also have a 35mm lens pretty much permanently attached to an x-pro. That's a nice set up, too, but I'm starting to prefer the 23mm field of view. Back on topic, the 35mm is definitely not a fast focussing lens.

5. miked

miked Well-Known Member

I rather like the 60mm f2.4 Macro. Looks a little large on the body but it's well up on it's toes and is criminally sharp, and though the focus isn't razor-edged fast it's far from lethargic and the lens quality is stunningly good for the price (mine was from Ebay at £230). Together with the Xpro1 (also Ebay) the kit cost some £480 which, in view of the price just two years ago, represents wonderful value. I shall enjoy this combination, but will probably add the 35mm XF afore long.

6. Seb

Seb New Member

I alternate between the f2 35mm (for that 50mm equiv) and the f2.8 27mm (which gives around 41mm equiv). The image quality of the 35mm is just amazing, while the 27mm gives me a good street photography lens (it's small, discreet and fits in my pocket when attached to my xt10). I picked up my copy on ebay for about half the price of a new one and as such has been amazing value for money. I'd say that 90% of my shots are done with the 27mm. I dont use the kit lens much but when I do it's only to make use of the 16mm end of the range.
    The rest of the Fuji lenses are way out of my price league so this will have to do for now.

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The one I use mostly is the 18-55. It is way better than the kit lenses of the same range that come with DSLRs, as it should be, it is far more expensive, but is faster and much better made. The more sluggish focusing is alas a characteristic of CSCs in general. I have some primes, but generally only take them when I think I may need the wider apertures. I have a 55-200, which I was lucky with on Ebay and that is also excellent, the camera with the two zooms is a good versatile outfit to carry around, as it has a wide range and is not excessively heavy. The kit you can and will take is better than that you leave behind as being too heavy.

8. Digitalmemories

Digitalmemories Well-Known Member

The OP is a few years old now, but the question is still a good one.

For me it's the 35mm f1.4. It just produces a lovely 'cinematic' look.