1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X E2S

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by Nikonchris, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Nikonchris

Nikonchris Well-Known Member

I have an X E2S and was out last night and wanted to take some shots...it was in a restaurant so quite dark.

I set the pop up flash and camera set in Manual at the flash sync speed however when looking through the viewfinder everything was dark so had to guess where my subject was....am I doing something wrong?

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

What you see is what you get with a CSC. When using flash the camera can't show the effect of the flash as the light is not there for it to do so. I have just had a quick check with my Fuji and that confirms this, it is also the case in aperture priority, my preferred mode. This is one of the occasions that these cameras are not a lot of use tbh, and indeed one of the reasons why they are not actually close to usurping DSLRs. Had you an X-Pro 1/2 you could have used the optical finder which does not suffer this. Incidentally the pop-up flash is pretty useless on the XE cameras, it is really feeble.

3. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I have an x-E1, but I'll presume that the x-E2 will be similar.

In the Set-up menu, find the menu item "Preview exp. in manual mode" and switch it to 'OFF'. This should solve your problem - unless, of course, the x-E2 is different in this regard. Hope this helps.

Edit: I've just done a bit of Googling, and discovered that the x-E2 (I couldn't find a specific reference to the x-E2S) does have this menu item, but the wording is slightly different, thus: "PREVIEW EXPOSURE IN MANUAL MODE".

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I haven't used the flash much on my X-E2. Though, I noticed you can bounce it vertically using a finger.

I think you can configure what exposure the viewfinder shows but it is ages since I read the manual. Mine is set to the meter exposure value so as the scene gets dark the viewfinder stays bright but the contrast goes all horrid and it looks unnatural compared to an optical viewfinder. (Mind you if it is realy dark you can't see much with that either). I'll try the X-E2 on manual later and see if indeed if viewfinder brightness matches the settings rather than aiming at standard EV brightness.

5. peterba

Yes, this is the setting to which I was referring, in post #3 above... "PREVIEW EXPOSURE IN MANUAL MODE".

It's under the (blue) Set-up menus.

6. Nikonchris

Nikonchris Well-Known Member

OK Thanks guys....good to know that I wasn't doing anything stupid....

peterba likes this.
  7. peterba

That setting works in the same way, on the x-E2S, then?

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I was still writing when you posted! The XE-2 with firmware 4 and XE-2s as released are the same although there may have been firmware updates since.

peterba likes this.