1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WW1's forgotten photographs

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by DigiDiva, May 12, 2015.

1. DigiDiva

DigiDiva Active Member

I'm watching a documentary on BBC4 and Amateur Photographer magazine had a mention from 1915! When did the mag first appear?

A moving, amazing, historical recollection of images from the front and the lives of the soldiers. A great history in photography. The proof of the Christmas truce. Wow...........

Try googling Harry Colver WW1

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  2. DigiDiva

DigiDiva Active Member

JustJust read that it was first published 10 October 1884! Amazing. VPK cameras being talked about. Vest Pocket Kodaks........

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yes got a couple of them. War finish of course.

4. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

1884! Thats amazing.

Do we have any of the original contributors posting here on these very boards?? :p

5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

George Bernard Shaw was not an original contributor, but he was certainly an early one. I can't help wondering how long he'd have survived on the forum here, given his talent for being exquisitely rude. For example (sorry, no citation):

“I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend ... if you have one."
    — to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night; will attend second, if there is one."
    — Churchill

Cheers,

R.

6. RovingMike

7. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I have an 1884 camera that has been in the family since new and the only surviving picture taken with it is of my grandfather (then a boy of 7) and his father. I think it fairly obvious that the photographer was the young boy's mother taking a picture of her two men. This partly corroborated by a lecture on Victorian images, in Edinburgh last year, where I was told that a lot of photographers were women and complaints were being received at court about them turning up with nitrate stained hands

Incidentally the camera has significant wear round the tripod bush so it was well used

8. RovingMike

Nice relic to have.

Interesting that photography was being positioned as a substitute for sketching for ladies of leisure who were not very good at that. But not surprising perhaps that the people who had most use / need for memories and especially of people were the ones who did most of it. Might be that men did art and landscapes and women did people perhaps?

9. DigiDiva

DigiDiva Active Member

Glad I started a good discussion. Very nostalgic.

10. BasicDarton

BasicDarton Active Member

[​IMG]

for some reason is my favorite.

11. DigiDiva

DigiDiva Active Member

Makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck

12. RovingMike

Great one. Looks early on, before helmets and when cameras were still allowed.

13. DigiDiva

DigiDiva Active Member

I believe they still snook in camera, even after the ban.