1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WOW What a talent

Discussion in 'Web Sites of Interest' started by Little_miss13, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Little_miss13

Little_miss13 Well-Known Member

I've recently discoverred this website/company.
    http://www.urchinrock.com/
    This is when I wished I had done more with photography and work experience when I was a student!

2. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Wow, what an underwater housing can do for you?

A new direction perahps Nikki?

3. Little_miss13

Re: Wow, what an underwater housing can do for you?

Having seen this last week, I did think that.
    I think it would be extremely hard to start getting into in this day and age, to be honest. I can't imagine public pools letting anyone in with a camera, even if it was to photograph your own child.
    Being female may work in my favour. If I'm blowing my own praises: I'm sure I would entise the fathers in to hire me - me swimming around in my bikini :eek:

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Quick don't let Big (lecherous)Will see this post

5. Lounge Lizard

That's what rankles a bit in this age of equality. Females seem to be a safer bet than men for working with children. Perhaps todays adults have forgotten Myra Hindley.

6. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Not entirely true. I vividly remember the case of nurse Beverley Allitt.

7. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

My 21 month old daughter goes to a swim tots class. It's a private sessions held with other kids and their mothers in a health club's pool. All you'd need is the agreement of the tutor and mothers to come in and take photos of babies at a similar club near you. No issues with members of the public in this senario; if anyone onbjects then they don't have to partake.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Depends on the club, too - you would have to okay it with them as well.

Our local public pool bans photography without the prior agreement of the manager - I have no idea how easy it is to get such permission, TBH.

9. Carole

Carole Well-Known Member

Hi - just saw this thread (they don't very often let me out of the SPI digital course forum!). Both my children have done baby swimming classes, and both have had pictures of this type taken of them. In fact we have a superb pic of my daughter underwater, blown up big in black and white on canvas on our lounge wall. Much admired.

The way it worked was that a separate shoot was set up - so we paid money and booked to go along to the shoot. Then paid for the prints. We thought it was very good value when we went with my daughter, but noticed that it had gone up a lot in price by 2 years later when we took my son. The photographers had linked in with the swimming school and one of the baby swimming teachers came along and placed the babies into position (yup, it's a set-up - although they do a lot of underwater work in the actual lessons).

I think that if you or anyone else seriously wanted to get into this sort of area, you would need to hook up with a local baby swimming school to be sure of safety etc. Both for having a trained/qualified teacher, and also to make sure that the babies have enough underwater experience to handle the shoot (I think they do 6 or 7 dunkings). But, I would think that baby swimming is becoming increasingly popular, so more classes opening around the country, so could be worth investigating what's in your area.

If you're interested to see another company doing this type of photography, these are the people who did our photos: Water Baby

Carole

10. Carole

Carole Well-Known Member

my children's lessons are for a small group of children in a private pool, but they have a total ban on photography - even if you got agreement from everyone in the class and/or only took pics of your own child, they wouldn't let you do it (mind you, they do seem to like their 'don't do this', 'don't do that' cards - new ones seem to appear every week!!). Because of this, and also our experience of how they place the babies to get the best chance of a decent photo, I think the only way to do it would be to set up a separate photo shoot (ie not just take pics during the lesson) and invite people to take part.

I cannot imagine any public pool allowing you to take photos, plus you'd need to set up underwater lights, so it's not a case of just getting underwater and snapping away.

However, the bikini might not be necessary - we had a woman the first time round and a man the 2nd time.

Carole

11. Little_miss13

Thanks for all your replies and advice. I would still love to do underwater portraits but at this moment in time, simply don't have any (time). Perhaps when I have my own children (can I hear my boyfriend running away!), it will be the ideal opportunity to take this up.
    I'm going diving/snorkelling in Cuba this March and want to buy a compact and underwater housing for photography then so perhaps this will give me the bug. Any advice on this? I waned to buy a Canon Ixus but haven't had a chance to look into it.

12. Lounge Lizard

I'll just miss you - I'm going in April.

13. Little_miss13

You'll have to let me know where you are going and who you booked it with. I haven't yet booked our trip but hope to do it soon.

14. Lounge Lizard

You should have booked it by now. Cuba needs booking about 6 months in advance if you want to get the itinerary you want. I used a private travel agent (no more expensive but personalised service on the phone or e-mail when you want it) who made all the arrangements for me. If you are interested, I can give you her contact details in a PM.

15. fred333

fred333 Member

I did not realize you had to go 6 months out. That is crazy. I have seen some great pictures from there though, so it is worth the wait.

16. Lounge Lizard

You can probably get last-minute deals especially if you just want to laze on the beach and go to night-clubs. If you want a multi-location holiday in certain hotels, the responsiveness of the Cuban travel industry which is lethergic to say the least, dictates that you have to book 6 months ahead if you want the itinerary of your choice. Otherwise, it's taking what's left.