1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you be interested in a camera with a 50 million...

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

...plus pixel sensor?

Take part and vote on this week's poll - Would you be interested in a camera with a 50 million plus pixel sensor?

[​IMG]

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

No, and it's depressing that we seem to be back in a pointless pixel race again.

I would much much MUCH rather have far fewer pixels and better noise performance at very high ISO in low light.

3. Bejay

Bejay Well-Known Member

Actually wanted to vote for both No options

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

I'd certainly be interested but I don't think I'd have much use for it: I bought a 16MP Df instead of a 36MP D800/D810 because it suited my needs better. Processing huge files is time consuming, eats memory, and I seldom need that much detail.

Of course such sensors are already available for e.g. my Alpa: Phase 1 does an 80MP back. Unfortunately I can't afford it.

Cheers,

R.

5. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I have no need for 50Mpix, and I am quite happy with 24.

If the Df had 24Mpix, I would go for one, and dump Sony - I like to print A3+ at as close to 300dpi as I can get.

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I need to see some account of experiences but it looks good on paper to me.

Since I started to get interested in bird photography I find the darned things are so small that cropping is essential and I run to the limit with a 16 MP x1.3 sensor.

I am equally interested in landscape/architecture and my original 5D is getting aged and needs replacing.

The idea of having one body that can be both a 5D III a 1Div and a 7D II in resolution terms with a bonus of higher resolution for special situations at a price that is less than I paid for a 1Div is quite interesting.

I want to know:
    • what are the results like at MRAW (same as the 5D III?) and SRAW (same as the 5D)
    • what are the results like using the x 1.3 and x 1.6 crops on a telephoto?
    • what is the damned mystique over sharpness and movement/vibration at a pixel density that is less than the current Canon x1.6 cameras and pretty much the same as on the 4/3 bodies ( 16+MP on 1/4 area)
    • what happens sizing an image to max 800 pixels to post on AP forums should the original be full resolution!

7. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

^^^^^WHS^^^^^^

20Mp and ISO25,000 is a VERY good compromise and I have that already

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  8. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Yeah, why not if I could afford it? Would depend on some other factors: are they 'good' pixels and are they in a (Nikon) full-frame body that is smaller & lighter but essentially the same layout as the D700/710/750. Maybe also wait some time, nine to twelve months to check the model is reliable as well. If the price is silly, then a s/h Phase One becomes more attractive.

You have 24mp in an entry-level D3300. For the next version or so of that, it is probably got be 36mp to be a worthwhile increase. 50mp is only double the D3300. The numbers seem huge but if there is to be a worthwhile (visible) resolution difference then the jumps are going to get bigger ...

... and lenses are going to have to improve, again.

9. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I well-satisfied with the results I am getting from my EM-1, and feel that I am still not extracting the camera's full potential. As some have already mentioned, I'd like to see the manufacturers putting more of their R&D into reducing the noise and distortion one gets between each individual pixel on the sensor.

Of late, manufacturers have been promoting how good their sensors are at high ISO ratings, but I'm guessing a these improvements are more down to in-camera image processing carried out before the image is saved. As for reducing the noise between each pixel, (and I'm betting this would be improved by increasing the 'gap' between each one) whether any photographic magazine has the required tools to carry out tests, - which may well require the camera being disassembled - to validate (or otherwise) the figures a manufacturer claims, is another matter!

10. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I suspect that some of those who have voted "No" would also have voted "No" a few years ago if asked if they would be interested in a camera with a 6Mp sensor. They imagined they managed perfectly adequately with 2Mp (and many probably did).

I won't buy a 50Mp camera until Nikon offer one - but that is to do with having a lot on money invested in Nikon kit.

Actually I hope that Nikon skip 50Mp and go straight to 72Mp - which I would definitely upgrade to. And I look forward to 120Mp in due course.

Remember it is not an "either/or" situation as someone implied when they stated that they would rather have better dynamic range and better high-ISO performance than more megapixels. The fact is that advances in high-resolution sensors have been accompanied by huge advances in DR and high-ISO. I look forward to continued advancement in all those parameters.

Also remember that the poll question was "Would you be interested.....", not "Do you need......". My photographic needs were probably met perfectly adequately by my first digital SLR - a Nikon D80. Needs really had no part to play in my subsequent progress through D300, D3s, D800, D800E and D810.

For me it is about the fun of playing with the latest technology and meeting the new challenges presented by it.

At the end of the day, digital photo-processing is essentially data processing and the more data I have to play with, the greater my processing options. Not everyone has that particular viewpoint or interest. Horses for courses.

Eric

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  11. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

The finest of reasons!

Mind you, I won't be moving to 24MP until I can buy second hand for less than £250, so I've no idea when I'll go for 50MP.

:D :D :D

12. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

I print and sell some of my photos as large as 120 x 80 cm and I did this with 14 and 18Mpix, now I have 22,5 Mpix, I dont need any more, my RAW formats can be 15megabites per photo, have no interest in photos that take up the size of a short film on my system.
    like the man said:
    and a sensor that can handle 11 frame per second like mine does.
    If I was going to buy a camera again it would be the eos 1DX with 2 sensors and 22 frames per second not high resolutions and no application other than flower photography.....

13. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I was not interested in 24mp over 12mp when that discussion was all the rage a couple of years back, and I am no more interested in 50mp over 24mp now... If anything 24mp is too much for my needs even now and shows up my failures behind the camera far more than my 12mp sensor did.

...but I am certain over the next few years I will not have a choice. Yes, no one forced me to upgrade my 12mp kit but given enough time I would have missed the window to upgrade and I am certainly stuck on that treadmill at the moment, and missed the ISO and other features advantages I actually wanted over the insistent slog toward more and more mp. Maybe time to step off it and enjoy the kit in have for the long term...

Incidentally I saw a 128gb SD card in Argos for £40. It was nice, but I wondered why such large capacity at just class 10? If a 50mb Raw is over the size of the per-second write rate we are going to see CF cards making a BIG come back just as it looked like they were being phased out...

EDIT - thinking about it, a lot of consumers may think "Oh, they have finally caught up with Nokia camera phones" ;)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  14. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

The last two DSLRs I've bought have actually had more pixels (14Mpxl & 24Mpxl) than I really wanted, but I couldn't get the other features I wanted with anything less.

15. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

No to 50MP but I would like 42.4MP (Sony A7RII). It seems to defy all the limitations f the Canon.

16. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The trouble with even 36M pixels from my D800 is that my technique is not up to it; most of my lenses are not up to it; I don't need it: I am too lazy to make the best of it when all I want is a snap; my tripod is back in the car even when I have the right lens and camera. For some people on some missions I am sure that 50M Pixels is not really enough but for me it is way too many.
    You may ask why did I buy a D800. Well that's a different thread.

17. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I'm not sure when the point the increasing amount of megapixels will become an irrelevance...?

It could be argued that Point came when they overtook the amount to produce an A3 print at top dpi, the largest most have access to make at home... But it could also be argued the same for a 800 by 800 pixel image for the Web too if you only ever upload to AP forum... I have 24 million and almost always throw away 23,360,000. Anything bigger can be covered by professional tools, the medium format backs etc that earn their living... It's probably why people don't care about mobile phone camera quality - aside from it being pretty good now, down scaling will always hide a multitude of sins...

I suppose the pixel limit will only be reached when the photosites are smaller than the wavelengths of the light they are receiving.

To misquote a film:

"Get me Sony and Canon! Gentlemen, I will destroyed the world unless you make me an APS-C sensor with...

[​IMG]

*Canon and Sony laugh*

"Gah, sorry, I mean an APS-C sensor with...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  18. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

One thing is clear from this thread.

I really must use my 3.2Mp D30 more... [​IMG]

19. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I hadn't herd of a D30 but I do have a D40x in a cupboard somewhere. There's now't wrong with the pictures but compared to a D300 the H interface is rubbish.