1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you be happy with more touchscreen controls on cameras?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Jun 21, 2011.

1. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Re: Would you be happy with more touchscreen controls on cameras

Oh aye, my current compact has motion detectors in it too.....you can rattle off bursts at 10fps and then review the shots by tilting the camera back and forth. It's great fun :)

(I know, nothing to do with touchscreen controls, just another one of those neat gimmicks I like)

2. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

The point here is that

a) touch screens tend not to work at all if you're wearing gloves - which is me 95% of the time I'm using a camera

b) using a touch screen inevitably gets finger grease all over the thing, making it next to impossible to use the screen for what it's intended for.

3. spangler

spangler Well-Known Member

Not bl@@dy likely, my sausage fingers have trouble making selections on a iPad and as for touchscreen phones...!

Andrew

4. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

No I do not want a touchscreen in any shape or form on my cameras. At All!

They're just-about usable on a 'phone provided you're not wearing gloves, but on a camera? ugh!

No, give me real switches, dials and levers any day.

Dave

5. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Nope - just something else to go wrong.

6. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Ah but the GF1 handling is particularly awkward so it wouldn't take much!

7. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

Thant pretty much sums up my opinion too. I embrace progress when there is a gain for me, but these kind of developments often look like technologies looking for applications. I suppose I don't care what they put on the cameras that I don't use.

8. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Absolutely not.IMO the existence of such technology doesn`t mean it should be applied just for the sake of it.

9. DeeJay

DeeJay Well-Known Member

I agree.

In reality and in most cases, it is used to sell more devices rather than a solution to a problem or a logical upgrade.

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Who said anything about applying it just for the sake of it? For me, touchscreen options on a DSLR would be great when using a tripod, particularly if working higher or lower than eyelevel and with a swivel screen. On a more compact camera, they can make more control possible than might otherwise be the case. Yes, there are some downsides, but there are surely some potentially worthwhile benefits for photographers.

11. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I voted Yes, but only with button duplicates.

All exposure control must be with intuitive and well laid out button and dial controls which can be used while the camera is to the eye. To lower the camera to adjust would be to risk missing the shot. If my SLR had none of the buttons and only a touch screen to change settings it would not be the useful tool it is.

As for saying yes to the touch screen itself, i believe its main advantage is when firmware brings improvements and new features. Instead of firmware at present bringing small advantages or bug fixes, a touch screen could open up entirely new features and developments that buttons may not be able to incorporate to best use. Look at smartphones use of touch screens - One moment it is a phone, the next a calendar, the next an internet browser, the next a computer game, the next an MP3 player, the next a camera, and so on and so on. I'm not saying all of these features are what cameras need but to demonstrates that a camera can have so much more imagery potential designed into it after the initial launch, and even more so potential if it has a screen... But as said, for actual exposure control it has to have direct physical controls.

12. MPB

MPB Well-Known Member

WHS:)

13. Rushfan

Rushfan Well-Known Member

WHS+2

Just gimmicks - the manufacturers can keep them....

14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Touch screens are better at many things, entering text on my D2 and D3 bodies is an absolute pain using the joystick and button method. However, for a keyboard to be viable would require a screen at least as wide as that on an iPhone. I say that simply because I can cope with the keyboard on the iPhone in portrait mode. Beyond that, all the buttons need to be big enough that you can't hit two at once if you have fat fingers. Needs to be the right type of touch screen too. Can I retro fit them to my Nikons please?