1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worth Developing?

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by MJB, Aug 20, 2017.

1. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I've just found 3x 35mm films that would have been exposed around 15 years ago. Would they still be viable to develop? I'm intrigued by what's on them.

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I think you answered your own question!:)

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Mono or colour? Colour will work OK, and is well worth doing. Mono: add a bit of development time (+15%, perhaps) and they should REALLY be worth doing.

Cheers,

R.

Done_rundleCams and Learning like this.
  4. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

found films are even more interesting if they are not your own.
    clearly the itch need scratching.

5. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Of course they are.

S

6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Definitely!

7. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Best find out if there's somewhere in town that does developing. Does Boots still do film processing? If not it's a 30 mile round trip to Salisbury.

8. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

No.

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I think some ASDA stores still do developing, but as the machinery wears out they are diminishing. Having said that they made a dreadful job of a couple of films a friend took in a few months ago. After I put a bit of pressure on him he reluctantly complained and was refunded.

10. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I've got an old Truprint envelope in the man drawer if it helps. You get a free film back too! :cool:

11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Then I'd have to buy a film camera to use it. Knowing how awful I was using my Olympus compact 35mm camera (a Trip 300 iirc), Snappy Snaps will destroy a huge swathe of rainforest to produce the advisory stickers on the prints. I wasn't into photography back then so these films will be snaps of family day trips , parties etc. Should be some good stuff to embarrass my now grown up children with . Here's hoping.

Done_rundleCams and Craig20264 like this.
  12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

No Martin. You beg, borrow or steal a developing tank and process whatever you have as monochrome negative. It works for everything except Kodachrome. Photograph the result digitally and then show us wot you got.

13. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I'm wrong.

Boots stores still develop film, not all stores do it, but many do.

14. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Check the ads in the back of AP..............

Lynn

15. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I don't believe that Boots do black and white. Not sure what Martin has. Snappysnaps and Jessops will do it though.

16. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

If you can find a Snappy Snaps. they don't charge if the films turn out unprintable (well, our local doesn't).

Most of my found film has been blank or rubbish but somewhere I have some negs on 127 C41 Kodacolor - so within my lifetime - taken with a No 0 box Brownie, and I have a neg somewhere of a chap at Stonehenge sometime in the 1950s.

Adrian

17. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Martin,

Well didja do it and, if so, what were the results like? If not, do it and, if not at the Salisbury Photo Centre,
    perhaps, try out Castlecameras in Bournemouth, I think, ... https://www.castlecameras.co.uk/prints

Cheers,

Jack

18. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Jack, not got around to it. The film's are packed away in storage whilst we're in temporary accommodation. When I do get them done it'll be Castle Cameras in their Salisbury branch.

19. Benchmark

Benchmark Well-Known Member

You could pop them in the post to Peak Imaging. They still do E6 and B&W as well as C41.

20. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Good stuff, Martin and looking forward to (hopefully) seeing the results :)

Cheers,

Jack